cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some devices not connecting WiFi

MissCalibria
Joining in

Hi. Before I start I’ve had a look at the forums and can’t find the answer to this query. Some of my devices are now not connecting to my WiFi. These are a laptop and an android phone. 

Earlier today the hub stopped working and after speaking to VM I did a reset using the reset button. They also said they updated it. I have also downloaded the VM Connect App but that says that I’m connected via an unrecognised access point. Now my sons phone won’t connect and my laptop only connects via Ethernet which isn’t practical. Please can someone give me some advice? Is it to do with different Hub settings? 

8 REPLIES 8

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it might not fix your problem but will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Hi. Thanks for the instructions but it’s now telling me that ‘Password should not be the same as guest network’. I don’t have guest network enabled and the password for that is different anyway. This message appears when I have added the 2 and 5 to the wireless names on the security tab. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try again after resetting the Hub this way...

With the Hub "on" push in the pin on the back/side/bottom of the Hub with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 5' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings one to access the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for help. This worked and my sons phone now connects. However I noticed last night the hub reset itself twice. I’m not sure now why it’s doing this. Do I need a new one? I occasionally work from home and can’t have it stopping working every hour. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It may have been a firmware update - keep your eye on it and see if it happens again - it should only do it occasionaly.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Wow. I've been looking all over for a fix and now eventually found it. Thanks so much. 

How do you log into hub? Do you have to use cable?

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Chrisstowell,

Thanks for getting in touch - are you able to expand on what you're trying to do when logging in for the hub? 

Let us know and we'll do our best to advise.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide