Menu
iAlcide
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So many issues!

So I have had 200mbs for about a week now and I’m having so many problems! 

the speeds are fire and average between 70-210. However I’m having the following issues.

Mine and my wife’s iPhones either don’t show the WiFi network, sometimes it states it connects but no internet connection. Other times it connects fine but pages won’t load or it keeps dropping in and out. I’ve gone into flight mode and out again and sometimes that works.

teams and zoom calls just don’t work at all it drops connection so badly.

ive done a factory reset 3 times and nothing has changed. I disabled 2.4ghz to see if that was any better and I think it worked better for a few hours but now back to normal. Also, sky q only works on 2.4ghz and I’ve not the option to have an Ethernet to it.

ive been through all the online diagnostics.

I’ve tried contacting customer service several times but I spend an hour on hold and can’t get through.

all in all, it’s not been a great first week with virgin media.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: So many issues!

I couldn't get the Hub3 to work well in my house at all, disabling smart WiFi helped.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Turn-off-smart-WiFi/td-p/3977407

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The quality of wifi from VM's hubs always has been poor.  If range and coverage are part of your problem, then it can be fixed by renting VM's "pods" at a well-padded £5 a month each (!) or buying your own wifi mesh system for around a hundred quid.  If persisting with the hub as a wifi device, the "dropping off" of iPhones can often be fixed by delving in the advanced hub settings and "splitting" the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands by giving each a unique name.

The poor performance on Teams and Zoom calls is a common problem, and (albeit without proof) a very probable cause is upstream over-utilisation, where VM's network can't cope with the upstream demands of home working, schooling, and "social upstreaming" such live streaming, Twitch gaming, and social video calls.  If that applies, it won't be fixed until lockdown ends, and there's a real problem at VM of being open and honest about this situation, with some agents insisting that there's nothing wrong at all, and any fault must be the customer's wifi setup.  And when I say "fixed", I mean it just resolves back to a standard of normal operation - because the roots of this are locked into the cable technology that VM's network uses, there is nothing that the company could do in a timescale short of years.

Sky Q, I can't comment on. 

The VM online diagnostics are so simplified that they're often unhelpful, but in theory at least these should have run an automated check for known area faults, and for power, error, modulation or noise problems that would be detectable in the hub's status page. 

VM customer service has been legendary - in the wrong way - for a very long time.   Over the past year, because so much VM customer service is cheap, poor quality offshore that can't cope with their local Covid problems, telephone response has deteriorated to the worst I've ever seen from any company.  As you may have found, when it comes to new sales, the company mostly uses UK call centres, and has put the effort into making those work - draw your own conclusions. 

When it works and you're not subject to problems, VM is good and fast, with acceptable reliability.  When there's problems it is pot luck whether it gets fixed promptly and effectively, or whether you have the sort of experience that built the legend.  Note that VM long term Trustpilot average of "88% bad" has deteriorated to 96% bad over the past year.  You've got a week remaining of your cooling off period to persist and see if these problems can be fixed, because after that you're locked in for the remainder of 18 months.  I suspect all can, but it's going to take time, probably until lockdown ends, possibly laying out money on wifi gear, and some effort on your part, so decide quickly.

If you would like us (forum members, unless explicitly stated respondents aren't VM staff) to check power and noise levels, and run a check for over utilisation and line quality faults, then there's my boiler plate guides below.

1. Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  - unless you've got a Hub 4, in which case I believe you need to log in and root around in the Admin menu.  The router status page will bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as text not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.
  2. Setup a BQM that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can do that immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oh, and I forgot one other positive for VM - the forum staff, who do a sterling job in helping out, and often sweeping up the pieces of "breakages" in other areas of VM's service.  The way this forum works is that (mostly) the staff take a back seat, and allow the community to act as first responders, and the staff will step in if a post hasn't been adequately dealt with in a few days.  Of late this operating model has been very stretched because of the failings of telephone contact, but the staff are still there, they're doing what they have the capacity to do, and there's a good range of regular users with extensive experience and interest who will try and help out.  And then there's a few difficult old goats.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote: ........ but the staff are still there, they're doing what they have the capacity to do, and there's a good range of regular users with extensive experience and interest who will try and help out.  And then there's a few difficult old goats.

Kudo’s from a geriatric original loose cannon/maverick from 2009 origins of this helpsite.....   well said and despite several of us old& wrinkles futilely meddling in politics in vain attempt to support residential users via absurdly named Community Ambassador's, Super (ab)Users, and now Virtually Impotent Professionals it’s still reassuring to see the naive enthusiasm of others.....

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

After reading all that it sounds just a single issue.. Wi-Fi.
Like yourself I have M200 and Sky Q. Hub3 is connected to 2 disc BT whole Wi-Fi. I have 2 kids home schooling and myself also work from home most days. The Wi-Fi is very stable.

Before I invested in the BT kit family members often scream of Wi-Fi drop out. The setup of my house is hub3 and 1 BT disc at front of the house. My work laptop is in rear extended kitchen past 2 solid brick walls. I have placed the 2nd BT disc in the kitchen. Very stable Wi-Fi covering complete house with 210+mbs most of the day.

Unforetunately the pile of junk hub3 if best used via the 4 LAN ports..not Wi-Fi

Sky Q will only connect via 2.4g band unless Sky router.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos