Menu
Highlighted
LGTilley
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Smartplugs 3.0 hub

When you put in my last router (Hub 3.0) my smartplug stopped working. After a lot of research and looking into the hub setings, it turned out that it was incompatible, working only on 2.4Ghz. The settings in the router which can be configured, still would not make it work. I got rid of the smart plug. I thought that in time 5Ghz ones would appear on the market. So... if I buy a new smart plug e.g. this popular one https://smile.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Required-Control-Devices-Anywhere/dp/B07CKVZFGX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s... will it work?

Application: I have a very cold property, and cannot predict when I will be there beyond more than about an hour in advance. I should love to be able to switch a fan heater on via the Internet, so the place has warmed up before I arrive.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smartplugs 3.0 hub

This one says 2.4 GHz only too

"Control and Automate - You’re always home! Support 2.4 GHz Only"

Have you tried separating the ssid's to see if that improves the wifi connection to your current smartplug ?  Try this if you havent...

Go into the Hub3 settings (go to http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 in your browser) and in "smart wifi" disable the "channel optimisation".  Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) use the same password  if you like,  Then, save settings and restart Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.  5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper devices can only use this one.  See if that helps. 

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
LGTilley
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but I no longer have the old smart plug, so cannot try that.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Still worth doing - in anticipation of your new plug!  The one you link to should be fine on the "renamed" 2.4 network, provided you set it up on a clear 2.4 channel and site it so as to avoid potential interference from walls, furniture, microwave ovens, electric cables,  etc.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
LGTilley
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK thank you. I've done that and am now ordering plug. Will try to remember to come back here and tell you what happens.
Tsar
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've got 3 of these at home.

They work perfectly with a Hub3 and Amazon Echo/Dots.

0 Kudos
LGTilley
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. It worked!
0 Kudos
Beefriendly
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you sooooo much!!

I’ve just spent 6 hours watching various videos & trying & failing to connect my plugs until I found your advice here!

Total legend! 🙌
0 Kudos