cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart wifi disconnecting

Adamski82
Tuning in

Hi, 

I have smart wifi enabled, devices will connect 2g and 5g and whatever channel is best at that time. Problem is, when my Apple devices to this, if I'm watching something in my iTunes library through my Apple tv etc, it loses connection to the library and takes a minute to connect again. Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It may be that your Apple device is located close to the borderline between the reach of the 5GHz and 2.4GHz WiFi signals and is bouncing between them.

It would certainly be worth separating the two WiFi bands by giving them different SSIDs and being able to control which the device is connected to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I did have that set up before, but other devices weren't getting a great connection. The smart wifi with a pod also, seemed to sort this. Would it be worth setting up the guest wifi and set the apple devices to this?

@Adamski82 wrote:

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I did have that set up before, but other devices weren't getting a great connection. The smart wifi with a pod also, seemed to sort this. Would it be worth setting up the guest wifi and set the apple devices to this?

You could do but the guest network is segregated from your normal LAN so you don’t see devices in each others networks.

Also the “smart” Wifi is anything but - but unfortunately you need it enabled for the Pod (which I hope you’re not paying the £5 per month rental for). 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi, no not paying £5 a month. I tried the guest wifi and the devices don't see my library. I'll just need to split the wifi bands. Thanks for your help. 

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Before doing that, it may be worth trying moving the WiFi Pod(s) around.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Adamski82 wrote:

Hi, no not paying £5 a month. I tried the guest wifi and the devices don't see my library. I'll just need to split the wifi bands. Thanks for your help. 

Splitting the bands will stop the pod working. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi