Menu
Justsime
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Smart plugs

I have the 350 mb broad band with a Hub 3. Just brought a smart plug. It will not connect to my WiFi. As far as I can see it’s because it’s 5ghz not 2.4ghz. Any ideas how to get round this please 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Smart plugs

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Tags (1)
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Lots of 2.4Ghz devices, especially “smart plugs” will not work when the two bands are on the same SSID name. I have always split the names, even when not using the VM hub for WiFi, and never ever had any problems. My WAPs allow for up to 8 SSIDs, 4 on each band, so it easy to split out devices even if you do not use a VLAN for IoT devices.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Justsime
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much got it to work following these steps. 

0 Kudos
Maccajohn
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
I've just fitted the new 4 hub and have this problem with my smart plugs. Do you think or know that using this method may resolve my problem.
Thanks John
0 Kudos
jessicathackray
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, I hope you can help me. I have also bought some plugs and need to be on 2.4 WiFi for them to work. How do I log into the Hub 3? I cannot seem to find 'advanced settings' on 'My Virgin Media'. Sorry, if I am being daft!

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@jessicathackray wrote:

Hi there, I hope you can help me. I have also bought some plugs and need to be on 2.4 WiFi for them to work. How do I log into the Hub 3? I cannot seem to find 'advanced settings' on 'My Virgin Media'. Sorry, if I am being daft!

You can log into the hub using the following address in a browser, http://192.168.0.1

the password is the “settings” password on the sticker on the bottom of the hub. 

0 Kudos