cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart home connectivity and Hub 4

Sparky3366
Dialled in

Hi everyone, does anyone have any idea why I can’t connect most of my smart equipment to my hub 4? I’m aware of having the hub set to 2.4ghz and while I can connect 1 or 2 things, most of the equipment will not pick up the wi fi. Everything is close to the hub for setup but no joy at all. I had no such issues with the hub 3, can I switch to the hub 3 after having the 4 fitted? 
this isn’t just for laziness, I’m blind and rely on Alexa a lot to control stuff plus it keeps my electricity bill down.

3 REPLIES 3

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sparky3366

Thanks for posting. With this, have you split the bands on the hub? We don't recommend doing so due to the intelligent WiFi in the hub, however I am aware some smart appliances need them to be split.

Let me know. Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi, thanks for your reply…yes I’ve split the bands and then restarted my iPad.

heeeeelp!

My apologies that splitting the bands have not worked for connecting your smart devices. 

If splitting the bands has not forces the connection to the 2.4ghz - the only other option is to disable the 5ghz band temporarily and let the devices connect to the only available 2.4ghz network. Once the devices have connected, you can then enable the 5ghz band again.  If this also does not work, I would suggest speaking with the manufacturers or forums of the 3rd party devices that you are having issues connecting to the network. I have check the systems at my side and see no issues with the service. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley