cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart bulb not connecting

kevlewis7
Joining in

I bought four TCP smart bulbs two nights ago and I've spent the last few nights trying what I believe to be everything to get them to connect and they just won't. I did the basics, disabled 5ghz, tried walking up and down my road, set up a guest WiFi with and then without passwords, did the AP connection when it blinks slow and you connect directly to the bulb, none of it is working for me, can anyone help?

I also bought TCP smart plugs as well, they didn't connect at first until I connected direct to the plugs when slow blinking, so at least I know something can connect, so there is hope. 

18 REPLIES 18

Hi, 

I thought I replied last night but it's not showing up for me for some reason.

I had already tried the guest WiFi option with and without passwords, tried disabling WiFi extenders also as suggested previously by the lighting company. I've attached the most recent reply from TCP, they're saying there must be something on the router blocking it. 

Screenshot_20201126-090406_Gmail.jpg

Hollie_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your reply @kevlewis7 

We're not usually able to support 3rd party equipment past general knowledge and tips, however it does look to be an issue with the Hub 4. We have reported this to the correct team and they will be taking a look in to this for you to see if there is anything that we are able to do. 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thank you

Hollie_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @kevlewis7 

Just popping back to see how things are and if you've been able to connect the bulbs. 

We're still looking in to this, thanks for your patience. 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hollie, 

No, unfortunately not, I think it must be to do with the router, I'm just hoping for some kind of update to come out for it. 

Hollie_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Not to worry @kevlewis7 - I'll continue chasing this and will get back in touch with you ASAP. 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

Hollie_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @kevlewis7 

Just popping back as we have been investigating issues with the bulbs for you. 

Can I just check you've tried the following: 

1. Reset the device & put it into pairing mode to connect, if that doesn’t work:
  2. Disable the broadcast of the 5 GHz network from the hub, see if you can connect whilst it’s just a 2.4 GHz network, if it does then re-enable 5GHz and it should still connect.

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

Hi,

I've tried both these options and my Hub 4 still won't connect to the TCP bulb.

Has there been any updates on this problem?

Is it one bulb only that you have?

One of my TCP of bulbs failed after a day (10 sec blinking, unable to reset). I’ve had loads of range issues connecting TCP bulbs and plugs to VM equipment. I think you really need a TCP hub which they don’t do.

Get another product is my advice, The TCP stuff just can’t deal with British masonary.

I am on a hub 2.