Menu
lelee
Joining in
Message 11 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smart Wifi...better off disabled!

So, you take the same view and action....band steering doesn’t deliver on the promise so you don’t use.

By challenging WiFi env. I simply mean one where the 2.4G band is more widely available and offering better throughput at some areas of the house than the 5G.

To the points you raise...we simply have no ability to tweak settings to see which is working best, nor seemingly to see devices pushed back to 2.4G appropriately.

What was I expecting?....not a “lets push everything we can to 5G” but constant re-evaluation to select the best band for throughput.

Meantime...2.4GHz is working just great.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smart Wifi...better off disabled!

@lelee wrote:

So, you take the same view and action....band steering doesn’t deliver on the promise so you don’t use.

No, I don't. I am saying that I prefer to rely on my own judgement of my wireless environment to set up my wireless network than rely on some algorithm. I am not quite sure what promise band steering makes, if any.

By challenging WiFi env. I simply mean one where the 2.4G band is more widely available and offering better throughput at some areas of the house than the 5G.

This is the normal situation in most homes as the 2.4 GHz band has less attenuation than the 5 GHz, so normally has a stronger signal at range. Most wireless clients are set to roam to the strongest signal as I said before. The more devices connecting to the 2.4 GHz band, the slower the network will become. Band steering was designed to stop this overcrowding of the 2.4 GHz band.

To the points you raise...we simply have no ability to tweak settings to see which is working best, nor seemingly to see devices pushed back to 2.4G appropriately.

True to form, VM have dumbed down wireless features to save on support costs. the only feature worth tweaking would be the signal threshold on the prefer 5 GHz mode.
Band steering  is designed to push devices onto the less crowded 5ghz band as i explained before, it cannot push devices to the narrow, interference prone2.4 GHz band which will defeat it's point somewhat.

What was I expecting?....not a “lets push everything we can to 5G” but constant re-evaluation to select the best band for throughput.

Throughput does not solely depend on the band used, but many constantly changing variables like interference, range, positioning, the number of other networks in range broadcasting on the same channel, etc. some quantifiable, some not, so to provide dynamic automatic selection of the best band to use at a particular moment in time would be somewhat problematical, and considering the way wireless works broadcasting one frame at a time, would require a huge amount of processing power and would be well out of the scope of band steering alone.

Meantime...2.4GHz is working just great.

Well, turn of the Hub's "Smart WiFi" and set up your wireless client to connect automatically to the 2.4 GHz band, if that is the case

0 Kudos