cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV

Kerry12
Joining in

Hi, we have just had virgin broadband installed which works in most places, however we have a new JVC smart TV in the upstairs bedroom which won’t connect to the internet provided. You enter Netflix or Prime video etc.. & it just buffers continuously. We live in an old cottage with very thick walls so what do we need to ensure the wi-fi connection reaches upstairs? We’ve already tried a tp-link plug in wi-fi extender which did nothing. 
would be grateful for any input? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BrianY
Rising star
Quick message of sympathy, how about 2ft 6inch thick walls!
I helped out a family friend hard wire his TV as it was the only way to get a 100% signal.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

BrianY
Rising star
Quick message of sympathy, how about 2ft 6inch thick walls!
I helped out a family friend hard wire his TV as it was the only way to get a 100% signal.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@Kerry12 wrote:

Hi, we have just had virgin broadband installed which works in most places, however we have a new JVC smart TV in the upstairs bedroom which won’t connect to the internet provided. You enter Netflix or Prime video etc.. & it just buffers continuously. We live in an old cottage with very thick walls so what do we need to ensure the wi-fi connection reaches upstairs? We’ve already tried a tp-link plug in wi-fi extender which did nothing. 
would be grateful for any input? 

Extenders won’t work as they have to have a signal to extend. If there’s no signal it won’t extend anything anywhere. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Do you know what would work then? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kerry12 wrote:

Do you know what would work then? 

Try Powerline adaptors. They may work better than a WiFi extender. It will depend on the house wiring but should work well enough for the TV.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for that but what do you mean it depends on the wiring? 
kerry 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They often do not work if they are on a separate ring main. Most houses they days have a ring main upstairs and a ring main downstairs often on separate RCDs. I certainly have and separate ones for the kitchen and loft and they are on RCBOs not RCDs, so not chance of them working for me. Older properties may only have one ring main for the whole dwelling and often not even a RCD just old style fuses.

It’s far better to run Ethernet cables, I know you might have thick walls, but that’s no problem. I have used a metre long drill to drill through walls and ceilings in a school while installing Ethernet cables.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2