cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV will not connect to WiFi. Just got a new Smart Tv. My Hub is not even coming up when I try to co

Efg1943
Joining in

Hi 

Just got a new smart tv in my bedroom with a Virgin box. When I try to connect to WiFi. My hub does not come up. Can I connect manually ? Or any suggestions please. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jimbean
On our wavelength

hi thx for the reply some times i can find the net work.when i finally do find one i enter the password word press ok and the tv just shuts down and i have to start the process all over again. ie take the plug out of the router for a few minutes and the television 
then reconnect i dont know if its the tv or the wifi its the most complicated thing ive every had. all my other devices like my ipad, lap top, and phone, connect to the wi fi without any trouble

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model do you have - what is the VM box you refer to? Can you connect the smart TV to the Hub by ethernet cable (that will always work better)?

I am guessing the Hub's wifi is so poor that the TV cant see it let alone connect to it. Do other devices in the room connect ok on the wifi. Have you tried a wifi analyser App to see what the wifi environment is like in there and the strength of your SSID compared to neighbours?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi thank you for your swift reply. I am not very technical so please excuse me. I scanned my bedroom were the Tv us and the signal is great. Logged into WiFi on my iPhone in the Bedroom and never have a problem. I cannot connect an Ethernet Cable as my Hub is downstairs and too far away. Can I add my wireless network manually ? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes it should connect to the Hub's wifi signal - assuming it can "see" it. See the TV instructions for how to do that.

Do you have a VM TV box (TiVo or V6 or 360) that is delivering TV content to that TV or is it just connected to an external arial ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi I am doing as it says in the TV Manual but my WiFi does not come up at all. I am using a Virgin V6 box in my Tv. 

jimbean
On our wavelength

if you find a solution please let me know as i am having the very same trouble my tv in the bedroom is a toshiba is yours the same make by any chance

No my Tv in Hisense. I am on atm trying to get an Engineer out. My internet keeps going off and on. Obviously got a problem. My sons at Uni and College on zoom calls and internet keeps going off. Nightmare. I will post when the Engineer comes and fixes problems. Hope you get sorted soon 

jimbean
On our wavelength

hi thx for the reply some times i can find the net work.when i finally do find one i enter the password word press ok and the tv just shuts down and i have to start the process all over again. ie take the plug out of the router for a few minutes and the television 
then reconnect i dont know if its the tv or the wifi its the most complicated thing ive every had. all my other devices like my ipad, lap top, and phone, connect to the wi fi without any trouble

Hi I called up and spoke to someone on the phone at Virgin. He knew straight away what the problem was it was the settings. Apparently Virgin works on two frequencies 2.5 and 5. He changed both mines to 5 rebooted the modem and all working now. Maybe you need to call up and they can fix it. Maybe your more technical than me but it was done within 5 minutes. All my other devices were working fine too just not my new smart Tv. Hope you get it sorted soon. 

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Efg1943 wrote:

Hi I called up and spoke to someone on the phone at Virgin. He knew straight away what the problem was it was the settings. Apparently Virgin works on two frequencies 2.5 and 5. He changed both mines to 5 rebooted the modem and all working now. Maybe you need to call up and they can fix it. Maybe your more technical than me but it was done within 5 minutes. All my other devices were working fine too just not my new smart Tv. Hope you get it sorted soon. 

I'm assuming the Virgin helpdesk had you 'split the bands' on the Wi-Fi.

There are two frequency bands for Wi-Fi - 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  Both have pros and cons.

By default, on Virgin Hubs, both bands use the same SSID (network name).  This can be changed so that they have different names (say 2 and 5 at the end).  Log into the hubs settings page to change it.  There are various instructions on these forums how to do so.

Some devices, including smart TVs, work better if the two bands have different SSIDs.

Generally - Use 5GHz if the device is relatively close (same or adjacent room) to the hub and 2.4 GHz if it's further away, where possible.

You may need to update your settings on your devices afterwards as your network name (SSID) has been changed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!