cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Plugs/Bulbs won't connect

alex2511
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have a Hub 4 having moved recently. (Had a Hub 3 in a previous property & area)

I had 2 plugs and 2 bulbs in my old property - with no issues. 

I have tried to get all 4 set up and can't make them work. I have tried:

• Turning off 5ghz on the Hub settings - and tried to just use 2.4
  • Pairing in AP mode and EZ Pair (on the bulbs - no option on the plugs)
  • Turning off smart Wi-Fi/Channel Optimisation
  • Tried different bulbs/plugs in different places (where all other devices work at over 100mbps)

There must be something wrong here with something otherwise 1 of them would surely work?

All my connected devices appear to be connected (in the Hub 4 Menu) via 2.4ghz so I have to assume that the network is working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi alex2511,

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. Please note it can take up to 24 hours to show but you should also receive a text message with the details. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

➡ The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

➡ The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

We will continue to monitor your services and if we can see that the fault has cleared and the visit is no longer required we will cancel the appointment and let you know by text and email

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Use hub in modem mode get a better wifi router with 1Gb ports
---------------------------------------------------------------

alex2511
On our wavelength

Haha - I would love to upgrade to a mesh system but can't afford it for few months really - especially having just moved out.

There has to be a reason why they won't connect. Echo devices have connected. One smart plug connected (Amazon own brand plug) 

It just doesn't make sense to me. 

Hi alex2511, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your issues in the Community.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with your smart plugs and bulbs. I've checked things from this end and there are no WiFi issues showing. 

The hub is showing online but there is an issue with the downstream power levels. Most of these are too high and will need adjusting to ensure your connection isn't affected. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. It may not affect the bulbs and plugs affecting however they do need to be optimal to stop any further issues. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi alex2511, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. I have indeed added notes to the account to advise that there is an issue with the downstream power levels. The teams will be able to see this when you call. 

If you have any further issues or want our support further, please let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi alex2511,

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. Please note it can take up to 24 hours to show but you should also receive a text message with the details. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

➡ The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

➡ The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

We will continue to monitor your services and if we can see that the fault has cleared and the visit is no longer required we will cancel the appointment and let you know by text and email

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

alex2511
On our wavelength

Thanks Kath, I look forward to their visit tomorrow 🙂 

Thanks,

Alex

Hi alex2511, 

Thanks once again for your message. As I'm not needing to give you any account sensitive information, this can revert back to the public space. 

I'm glad you were able t rearrange the appointment successfully. 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let me know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi @alex2511 👋,

Just checking in to see how the visit went? 😊

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

alex2511
On our wavelength

Hi Ayisha,

The visit went really well. The engineer was excellent and we are now up and running better again. With good speeds in the majority of the property. He was super friendly, polite and efficient.

The bulbs won't connect but I'm thinking maybe I'll just try two new ones because I can't understand why. I think following advice on forums and so on that a mesh system is the way to go (for dead spots) but just glad the actual isp part of the network is set correctly so that I can move forward.

Alex