cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Device issues

rsmith95
Joining in

Hi, have an issue with my smart devices (TV, Amazon Echo,Security Camera's, Netgear range extender, smart plugs)  randomly losing connection. Some of them reconnect automatically but some don't and re-booting the router doesn't always resolve the issue either.  This is happening more and more frequently and the only device that seems unaffected is my Ring Alarm!  Any idea's gratefully received - the only thing the helpdesk can offer is a smart booster which won't fix the issue as one of the problem devices is no further than 10 feet away! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You can ask for a new hub or use the hub in modem mode and get your own wifi router with 1Gb ports.
---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You can ask for a new hub or use the hub in modem mode and get your own wifi router with 1Gb ports.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply Legacy1.  I assume from your post that you believe the Router is not up to supporting all the devices I am using. If I go back to Virgin and ask for a new router, which one do you believe will be sufficient for my needs?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will not just give you a new hub only if the current one if faulty. They supply a hub that is adequate for the speed of your plan. In no way do they guarantee the WiFi or the number of device that can be connected as it is outside their control. That said, many users myself included, obtain their own networking equipment as in the long run it alleviates a lot of problems when the VM hubs are in router mode. In fact I have never every run in router mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried splitting the SSID and turning off the wifi "Optimisation" ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the responses - I have managed to get all my devices back up and running now (not sure what I did to facilitate this apart from rebooting the router several times!)

I am loathe to play about with settings at the moment. My current contract is ending in the next few weeks and the new monthly bill is increasing by approx 30%.  If I cannot negotiate a more reasonable deal, I will be looking at moving to other providers and do not want to have to repeat this unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks again 

Hi there @rmsith95, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm glad to see that you have managed to get your devices up and running again.

In regards to you wishing to have a new deal, unfortunately this isn't something we are able to do via the forum. This is better suited to our retentions team. All contact methods for the team can be found here

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

@Nathan_B Thanks for the reply. I wasn't fishing for a new deal through the forum - I usually do this via the retention team as you suggest. Thanks for the link.
Regards Ray