Menu
Highlighted
YorkshireDadMan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Smart Bulbs

i have bought two smart bulbs for my Alexa. Neither will find my WiFi setting which i find odd. How do i make it find my network? If it involves changing settings on my hub how do i do that as I’m not a tech! I spoke to VM helpline and they said the hub is 2.4hz and 5hz so should work. But clearly they don’t and i find it odd that two separate brands will not connect to my WIFI. I have a 3.0 hub. Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smart Bulbs

Are the bulbs too far away from the hub?

0 Kudos
YorkshireDadMan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I should clarify, sorry.  They are hubless ones and connect directly to my WiFi.  The Virgin hub is only 6 feet away from the bulb. So no

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Many wifi problems on the VM Hub3 are caused by (1) smart wifi having channel optimisation enabled, and (2) it Auto-assigning the same ssid “name” to its 2.4 & 5 GHz frequency networks. So try changing these first:-

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) in your browser's url box.

• Login with the default login info (it’s on the sticker on the card in the drawer of Hub) unless you've already updated it !
  • Once logged in,in Smart Wifi - DISABLE channel optimisation
  • Then go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Under “Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz” - change the wifi Network Name (SSID) typed in the box to summat you like...   xxxxx2G - and also the wifi password (network key) to one you like and will remember!
  • Repeat this procedure for the “Wireless Frequency 5GHz” (call it xxxxx5G to distinguish it) use  the same password to keep it simple.
  • click on.. APPLY CHANGES, Log out and reboot the Hub3

Now all of your devices should “see” the 2 individual renamed networks in your list of available networks  and so you can connect your bulbs to just the one of your choice.  The 5GHz one is usually best and more stable and subject to less interference.  Its range may be less than the 2.4 one though - which some devices can only use.

See if that helps, if not post back.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
YorkshireDadMan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well 50% success.  I managed to get an EFamilyCloud socket working. But the EUFYHOME bulb will not work. It’s close to being thrown out of the window!  Thanks for your help, really appreciated 

0 Kudos
Dereklad
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello ill admit it im not a rocket scientist..but where the smart wifi section please because i cant see it on mine..E726A9CD-0398-4223-B900-B2DA4CA5507E.png

Cable customer from its inception in 80's in Birmingham .have never missed a bill payment.my package is big kahuna xl tv..200mb internet..and free sky movies for 6 months..+tivo box.
Ps4 & Amazon firestick.
+size 9 feet..iphone 7 plus..
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dereklad

Thanks for getting in touch

I hope you found this after you posted but if not to turn off WiFi optimisation in the hub 3 go to:

• Advance settings on the left.
  • Then wireless signal
  • WiFi optimisation is either enabled or disabled at the bottom of that page

I hope this helps

Karen

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Valmar
Settling in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi to all, particularly jbrennand, I logged onto the community on Monday to solve this (common) conundrum, after I spoke to VM who informed that one of the tech guys could call me but this would incur a charge...……  Having logged onto the IP address of our router & changed the settings, my bulbs are now able to connect to the broadband and whats more, I connected all up quickly & simply with my new Google Home Assistant too.

0 Kudos
Valmar
Settling in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can I just say, you are FAB... a big THANKS to you for your clear & simple guidance.  I was able to log onto & change settings on my Hub3.  My husband is now a happy bunny that I have made our home a "smart" home by connecting products & the Google assistant to our router.

Thank you so much - I had to register to this community just to thank you

Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos