cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow wired ethernet on hub 4

sasman40
Tuning in

Hello we are a house of 4 people. We have a hub 4 connected to a 10 port TP link switch where the far right socket is connected to the ACT/Link port and the rest act as extensions.

We have been struggling to get wired ethernet in the rooms and in the course of troubleshooting our wired speed seems to have dropped substantially to only 9mb after reboots turnings off and on and now the wired ethernet is worse than it was.

The hub is in a little cupboard near the front door so its not near any other devices and there are no virgin faults in the area. 

A router diagnostic revealed that various devices in the house have a low signal so my housemate is buying an electrical signal booster. 

A friend has suggested checking for channel interference but im not confident enough in changing the channel settings. 

Any suggestions gratefully accepted as 9mb for wired ethernet with a 200mb package is cleary not good enough. Thanks in advance all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@legacy1 wrote:

Remove the TP link switch and reboot the hub

Connect a PC to the hub and do a speed test check the link speed in windows networking

How to determine Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection speed on Windows 10 | Windows Central

Appreciate this has been said a lot, but as it's a Hub 4, a reminder that the best speed test to use when in router mode is www.samknows.com/realspeed as it will do a test to the Hub and then a separate test through to the home networking device.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Connect a PC to the hub and do a speed test check the link speed in windows networking

How to determine Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection speed on Windows 10 | Windows Central

---------------------------------------------------------------

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@legacy1 wrote:

Appreciate this has been said a lot, but as it's a Hub 4, a reminder that the best speed test to use when in router mode is www.samknows.com/realspeed as it will do a test to the Hub and then a separate test through to the home networking device.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Cheers dude my housemates are now saying the internet is a lot better. I heard each port has its own collision domain but maybe there were collisions causing the inconsistent speed.