Menu
Highlighted
iRapidz5
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Slow wifi

I got the 100Mbps Super hub. I know that I dont need to upgrade. Basicially, many people are connected to the wifi connection, which is downstairs and when there are too many people I start lagging on games. I have a so called 'wifi booster' aswell but still lag. Is there like a way that I can connect an ethernet wire from downstairs, to upstairs into my room? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow wifi

a wired connection is always going to be better than wifi - how you achieve that is up to you and the design of the house

Tony
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Tony is right of course.  The next best thing if you cant run ethernet cable or extend/improve your wifi network, would be to try powerline adapters.  My lad is an avid online gamer and flatly refuses to use wifi.  He bought himself a pair of the ones in the link and he loves em.  They aren't cheap (because they are good quality) but they drive his pc and xbox just fine - on my vivid200 package, he routinely gets 11 / 210 / 12.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-PL-1200AV2-PIGGY-SmartLink-PowerLine-Passthrough/dp/B00PQL2SSK/

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
iRapidz5
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have a TP LINK one. Ive plugged it in the corridor but I still lagg. Btw, Im playing on my PC
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@iRapidz5 wrote:
I have a TP LINK one. Ive plugged it in the corridor but I still lagg. Btw, Im playing on my PC

You said in your original post that you had a wifi "extender" - is that this TP Link one you just refer too?  If it is then you are missing the point.  The ones my lad uses are not wifi.  One plugs in next to the Hub and is then connected to it by a short cat6a ethernet cable.  The second is plugged in in his bedroom and his pc and xbox are then both connected to it by cat6a ethernet cables.  The network signal automagically runs between the two on the electric ring main circuit.  My apologies if you already knew all of that

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
iRapidz5
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes I agree - these are rubbish.  Read up on powerline adapters and consider that as the next best solution for you - other than one long cable Smiley Happy!

--------------------
0 Kudos
iRapidz5
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Can you link me an adapter that is best for it's price.
0 Kudos
iRapidz5
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So how do they work, do you connect one of the adapters to the router and then the other connected to my PC
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@iRapidz5 wrote:
So how do they work, do you connect one of the adapters to the router and then the other connected to my PC

I did - in message 3

--------------------
0 Kudos