cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow wifi speed good wired speed

WACO52
Tuning in

I have good wired speeds but not good WiFi speeds it can sometimes not even register on a speed tester. Can someone advise me on which might be best mesh set up to buy and how to set one up as VM  don't seem to be interested aslong as they get there money also why it cuts out on a night time and can do for 20 to 30 mins or longer. This is very frustrating as on a nighttime we only use wireless items. I have been told to split the system into two A 2.4ghz  and 5ghz systems. Or should I just give up and go back to another provider?

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this first. If you want recommendations for your own kit - just ask and they will come 🙂

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Hero

The link below is provided to speed test the Hub as well as the WiFi

Once the test begins click on Run full test to include all the figures.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Do post the results to help show what your facing.

Hi 

At this time getting 269 down to hub and 197 to tablet but downstairs within 6 feet of the hub I know that makes a difference. Thanks for your input 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey WACO52, thanks for reaching out on our help forum and sorry to hear of the wireless network issues you've had.

We're glad to see you've received some useful advice from our very insightful forum members above, has this resolved your query and do you need any help or advice regarding our WiFi intelligent pods from us?

We'd be happy to add this on to your package should you wish, please let us know how you get on and we'll be around to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Already use this and when it's working It dose the job very well

Screenshot_20230302_201155_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20230302_204540_Messenger.jpg

Have been told to stop using pod for a week or so and see how it goes 

Thank you @WACO52 

Did our phone teams advise this? Are you able to let us know how this changes things for you, if it does?  

No the engineer that came to the house advised it 

Thanks for coming back to us WACO52, how is it going without the pod at the moment?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L