cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow, unreliable broadband - BQM

dstern
Tuning in

This is my BQM.  I have been suffering from slow and intermittent broadband for several weeks.  Virgin Media have not been able or willing to help at all and have ignored my complaints.   Does anyone think this is fixable or do I need to switch providers?  My wife needs to work from home so we cannot just wait for this to fix itself, unfortunately.BQM.png

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Thats bad. What Hub is it and are you in normal router mode or modem only mode? What other devices are connected to the Hub on ethernet cables?

Can you check first for any “known network faults - try in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I recently had a similar issue with 50% packet loss. Fixed it by doing a 60 second pin hole reset.

Thanks for the reply. 

• It is in router mode, although I do not use it for Wifi.
  • It is plugged into a network switch which is in turn connected to my wireless routers and a NAS, all of which have worked perfectly for years.
  • The problem occurs even with a direct wired connection so this is unrelated to my wireless.
  • The Virgin page says no fault.  Sometimes when I call the number the message says something vague about a "complex local issue" but with no timeline for a fix. 
  • I have tried a full pin-hole reset a few days ago, which did not fix it.  I will try again just in case.

And it is a Hub 3.0

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It may have worked perfectly for years but now it isnt unfortunately

Electronics do fail and can lead to these issues ethernet cables and network switches have both failed on me. And see the bottom two links
Can you try this experiment. Unplug all the ethernet cable connections from the Hub and just let it run - overnight is best Then in the morning just plug your PC laptop into the Hub directly and look at the overnight BQM and see if it has cleaned up.

If it has - plug the devices back in one at a time for an hour or two until the problem reappears and that should indicate where to look for what is causing the issues

See these Examples. See message 12 in the first and 13 in the second.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-connection-dropping/td-p/4781287/p...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Intermittent-Connection/td-p/5069984/page/2

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello dstern.

Thanks for your post. Sorry you are having issues with the service.

I can see you were informed on another thread about the SNR issue in your area.

This is still ongoing with an estimated end date: 22 NOV 2022 at 13:15.

Can you pop back on here and quote reference number F010257321. 

That way we can update you if the service is still the same.

Gareth_L

Re F010257321

My connection is looking much better now.  I presume the local work has now taken place.  Thanks.