cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow streaming since my cordless phone was plugged into router by engineer.

sweetthing1
Joining in

My cordless landline phone used to be plugged into a normal telephone socket and never  affected my streaming or watching television.   Because I was having problems with the phone cutting off during conversations, I asked for an engineer to call and have a look at it.  He said they were upgrading the phones and plugged my cordless phone into the back of the router.  Since then I have had slow streaming problems, i.e. the programmes I am watching keep stopping whilst the little wheel goes round and round. It is driving me crazy. It takes forever to watch a film and I have to turn it off.

If I purchased an extension lead and plugged that into the router would it help if the cordless phone was further away from the router.  It is driving me crazy.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Buy it from a responsible source and ensure that it is described as a DECT phone.

Having said that, modern Binatone phones are DECT. If you still have the instructions they would say.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

At lot of cordless phones work on the same frequency as WiFi, not much you can do about that except get a new model that does not use the WiFi frequencies. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

g0akc
Problem sorter

@sweetthing1 wrote:

If I purchased an extension lead and plugged that into the router would it help if the cordless phone was further away from the router. 

Try it and see

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter
Try connecting the streaming devices to the 5GHz WiFi - split the bands if not already done. Better still, use Ethernet cables.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Tudor wrote:

At lot of cordless phones work on the same frequency as WiFi, not much you can do about that except get a new model that does not use the WiFi frequencies. 

Almost all cordless phones now sold in the UK operate in the DECT band 1880-1900 MHz, and are virtually immune to interference to/from the WiFi bands. This has been the European standard for cordless phones since 1991.  Any phones still operating at 2.4GHz are either very old or are grey imports.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

g0akc
Problem sorter

Several possibilities here including:

• Cordless phone on same frequencies as Wi-Fi - but, as mentioned, DECT phones won't be - what make and model of phone is it?
  • General interference from the phone
  • Broadband connection disturbed - possibly by technician when looking at the wiring - if phone wiring is faulty broadband cable could be too?
  • Coincidence

Things to try

• Check make and model of the cordless phone - let us know
  • Try a different phone (even a corded one) - is it the same with that
  • Move phone further away from hub
  • Use 5GHz Wi-Fi for streaming and wireless connections where possible
  • Use Ethernet cables where possible
  • Try a wired broadband connection - is that okay?
  • Check hub status figures
  • Get a different cordless phone - from a reputable make/seller - e.g. a BT DECT one from Argos
  • and so on....

If no improvement may need to get VM back to investigate

Thank you all for your great replies.  Yes, my cordless phone is an old Binatone but I am surprised the engineer didn't tell me that it would cause interference when I am streaming or advise me to get a new phone.  Poor service really. 

Is there anything specific I should look out for when purchasing a new cordless phone that won't interfere with my wireless set up.

Buy it from a responsible source and ensure that it is described as a DECT phone.

Having said that, modern Binatone phones are DECT. If you still have the instructions they would say.

- jpeg1

Thank you so very much for your reply. I cannot find the Binatone phone instructions or an online manual so I will purchase a DECT phone as you recommend.

Good plan. Just remember that this might not be the complete answer to any problems. 

- jpeg1