cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds over 2.4 bandwidth

BenjiFoxy
Tuning in

Hello,

My grandad has been experiencing very slow speeds over WiFi for as long as I remember but after finding out I can combine the bandwidths I thought that it may fix the issue, 6 months later it seems like the 2.4 bandwidth is the only issue with wired and 5.0 bandwidth connections being fine and as expected.

The hub he currently has is 5+ (probably 7+) years old and I think we need a new hub with it being this old and it most likely being defective since it arrived.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What speed are you getting with the 2.4GHz band?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Last time I checked over 2.4 it was just over 1mbps, 5 it was around 25/30mbps and ethernet was just under 100mbps with the contract being 100mbps

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The contract speed really is irrelevant with WiFi, the speed must be measured with an Ethernet cabled device. That said, you should be getting much more than you quoted on WiFi. I presume the speeds quoted are very near the hub. Firstly we need to check out the circuit so could you post some stats. 

How to get stats from a VM hub (no need to logon to the hub)

Open a web browser and go to 192.168.0.1 router mode or 192.168.100.1 modem mode

• Click on the “> Check router status” button
  • Click on the “Downstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply, do not take a screen shot
  • Click on the “Upstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply
  • Click on the “Networking” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

They were taken right next to the hub itself.

As for posting the stats I'll have to do that another time as I can't remember the IP or port in order to remote access the hub (I am currently at my own house)

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model is it exactly? It will be printed on the sticker. It is probably in need of replacing due to its age - but VM have a HUb supply issue at the moment so are only swapping them when they are proven to be faulty.

If the ethernet connections are all ok you could always put it in modem mode and set up with your (his) own wifi router with superior wifi performance than that in any VM Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.