cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet

JaneM12
Joining in

Hi,

I don’t know if age is effecting the wifi speeds as my box is pretty old? It consistently stops working and gets slow, my daughter uses her laptop a lot and is lagging. We have checked the speed through the apps and it says great but it never used to be as slow as it is now. 
My question is will the age of the box be a problem here?

13 REPLIES 13

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you any Ethernet cable connected devices? Are they giving the same problem? Can you try a speed test with an Ethernet connected device. We need to ascertain whether it’s a WiFi problem, hub problem or circuit problem.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What "box" are you referring to? If you mean the VM Hub model name/number is printed on the base sticker.

Are your devices as old as the box too?

What speeds do you get if you connect a computer/laptop directly to the Hub on an ethernet cable - and do you see any of the same issues

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I don’t have any devices connected with an Ethernet cable I don’t think, any other ways to test this?

Yes sorry the VM box hub 3, it’s a good few years old and my devices are newer.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I use the SH2 much older than yours and I have never had any issues or desire to upgrade it. Thats because I always use it in modem mode with my own wireless router.

You say speeds are fine - can you run the tests at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ what does that get you?

If the speed tests are all what they should be (on ethernet or wifi) what "exactly" are the issues you are having and are they specific to one or two devices or have you tried multiple devices ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’m not too knowledgable and what this all means but the results were 

Latency: 19.4 ms

Jitter: 2.40 ms

Download:120Mbps

Today in particular has been a really slow day on my daughters laptop the Ms has been spiking regularly on her laptop to 2500 ms

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Those numbers are fine. You didn't post the upload speed - can you do that?

What do you mean by slow - your download speed is at the Max?

So are you saying you have "one" that is "spiking" (what exactly is "spiking"?) - so is this not happening on all other devices - if not then that's where the issue lays.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Where can I get the upload speed?

Yes it’s very slow on devices such as laptops and our ipad, it seems to be on any devices like those, on our phones it’s fine. It’s been an issue for a while now.

My daughter says that her laptop is spiking with lag all the time and when I used my laptop the other day it was the same and we had to restart the router a few times just to use zoom without lag. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JaneM12 wrote:

Where can I get the upload speed?

Here...

Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 15.54.33.png

--------------------
John
--------------------