cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet on 1st day of install

Paulg95
Joining in

Hi so today I had an ultimate ooomph package fitted, the tv works great and the engineer was a nice guy. 
I currently have the 500mbps package and I’m struggling to get anything over 90 mbps.

when I run a diagnostic test in the hub 3 settings I get a ‘your home network has a few problems’ message, everything else it checks passes apart from the WiFi check. 

I left sky because of there terrible terrible internet and now it looks like I may be getting out of virgin media within my 14 day cooling off period. 

if anyone can help shed some light on my problem it would be much appreciated thanks. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

gc234
Tuning in

we had the same. it was 2nd day when the internet speed improved after we got a text saying service activated. We were getting the 100mbps on the wired pc at first. But speed was terrible on wireless. And i mean 17mbps terrible. Then it hit busier peak times and the speed fluctuated up and down averaging 48 on wired.  The virgin rep could offer nothing to help so we have cancelled. Ive read up that it would be better on a different router but that'll add another £100+ 

Best of luck with it but in trying to preserve my sanity we are back with plusnet and will see how the faster 68mbps fairs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

sophist
Trouble shooter

@Paulg95 wrote:

Hi so today I had an ultimate ooomph package fitted, the tv works great and the engineer was a nice guy. 
I currently have the 500mbps package and I’m struggling to get anything over 90 mbps.

when I run a diagnostic test in the hub 3 settings I get a ‘your home network has a few problems’ message, everything else it checks passes apart from the WiFi check. 

I left sky because of there terrible terrible internet and now it looks like I may be getting out of virgin media within my 14 day cooling off period. 

if anyone can help shed some light on my problem it would be much appreciated thanks. 

wired or wifi? 90mb sounds suspiciously like you've got a CAT5 cable (or a connection that has only negotiated 100mb)..

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

gc234
Tuning in

we had the same. it was 2nd day when the internet speed improved after we got a text saying service activated. We were getting the 100mbps on the wired pc at first. But speed was terrible on wireless. And i mean 17mbps terrible. Then it hit busier peak times and the speed fluctuated up and down averaging 48 on wired.  The virgin rep could offer nothing to help so we have cancelled. Ive read up that it would be better on a different router but that'll add another £100+ 

Best of luck with it but in trying to preserve my sanity we are back with plusnet and will see how the faster 68mbps fairs

sophist
Trouble shooter

@Paulg95 wrote:

wired or wifi? 90mb sounds suspiciously like you've got a CAT5 cable (or a connection that has only negotiated 100mb)..

It’s over WiFi. Any cables used where provided by the engineer. 

The odd time I can get over 100 mbps but 70/80% of the time it’s below 80-90 and I should be getting close to 500 

@Paulg95 wrote:

It’s over WiFi. Any cables used where provided by the engineer. 

The odd time I can get over 100 mbps but 70/80% of the time it’s below 80-90 and I should be getting close to 500 

do you have a device that you can connect to the hub with the supplied ethernet cable and test the speed?

I do not no, my Xbox has a 1 gig port as it’s the new series x and even that struggles to break 100mbps. We only use phones tablets and my Xbox. I could try plugging the Xbox in directly and use that to speed test. If the speed was fine on Ethernet.. what would this mean with the WiFi speed being so slow.