cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow / intermittent WIFI connection

sheachallis
Joining in

Hi, 

For months now we've been having issues where the signal seems to drop and becomes very slow or often cuts out entirely. The issue seemed to be resolved but now has become even worse - doesn't cut out for as long (only between 30 seconds and a couple of minuted) but has become much more frequent to the point that working from home and even trying to make WhatsApp calls has become very hard and stressful. 

I've done the area test and says no problems, then the personal test says that there is an intermittent issue but doesn't say what is wrong, says to check back in 24 hours. I did this a couple of days ago, check back and it just starts from the beginning...

Please can someone help sort this out because our WIFI's becoming almost unusable. 

Thanks,

Shea

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly... can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. All devices are connected wirelessly - unfortunately I do not own any devices that support ethernet so cannot check. The hub is model 3.0 and it shows just the solid white light even while the connection drops.

Shea

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Any device can be connected to ethernet using adapters. I have them for USB3, USBc, Thunderbolt & lightning ports - all for my Apple equipment that dont have ethernet ports.

If it stays solid white when the wifi drops out it suggests it may not be Network connection related. Does the green wifi light flash ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi there @sheachallis

Thank you so much for your post to our community forums and welcome to the team! It's so great to have you on board! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing these issues and thank you so much to @jbrennand for their help on this so far! 

Are you able to connect via an Ethernet cable and run a test as advised? 

Can you post also your Hub status and logs? How to do this;
• Please go to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode),
• Don't log in, click on 'router status'
• Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs as text into a 'REPLY' as opposed to 'QUICK REPLY'. Please do not include your MAC address.
Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc.

Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum.

Thank you!