cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow connection

markdyer72
Fibre optic

I seem to have a problem with my internet, I am supposed to get 200mb but when I do a speed test wired I get bare 100 and sometimes even less, and wireless is pretty miserable to, I have deco m5 mesh and I’m lucky if they register 30mb, could my connection be looked into please I have rebooted the router a number of times and still nowhere near what I’m paying for.  

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What Hub model is it? Do you have it in modem mode and the Deco doing the routing and wifi?

First thing is to change the ethernet cable linking the Hub to the first Deco with a new Cat5e (or preferably Cat6a) cable - as old ones can fal and default to ~100,

What device are you connecting on - is it actually capable of speeds greater than 10/00? If so, has,is its NIC card set to 1GB or dropped to 100Mbps (check in the Network Settings). Are its drivers up to date?

Re wifi - are you connecting to the 5GHz band or the slower 2.4 one?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It’s the hub3, I have the wireless disabled in the hub and use the deco in access point mode and I have only installed them within the last few days so used the cable that came with it, when I first installed them I did get the full 200 but now I don’t even get anywhere near even wired using cat 6 cable I do believe my nic is 1gb capable I will check if it has reverted to 100, but all the same that shouldn’t stop my Wi-Fi being so slow.  I have even tested disconnecting the deco and putting the Wi-Fi back on the hub and also did not get any more than 30mb and that’s sat right next to the router…

also I have tried disabling the 2.4 and connecting to 5 and still same result

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok but the Deco router is a quantum leap better than thain the Hub - you are not using it at its best.

Try setting it up in this way.....

Seet up your first Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode. Then, disconnect all cables from all your Deco's and switch them off and unplug them.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode

( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )

.....and wait 5 min for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your first Deco on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection.

Use the recommended App to connect the other Deco units to the first one.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for that I was going to use deco as router but I have tried to put the hub in modem mode twice before and failed, I may be doing something wrong or not being patient enuresis when required to wait,  I will try again on Saturday when I have plenty of time.   My only concern is that I use all the Ethernet ports on my hub 1 for the deco 1 for the VM box and I have 1 connected to my Phillips hue bridge and another to a power line adapter to the garage for the cctv,  am I right in assuming once in modem mode only 1 Ethernet port will work

Also do I need to be wired to the hub to log in to enable modem mode…

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Once its running in modem mode, get an unmanaged ethernet switch with 1GB ports - ones with 5-8 extra ethernet ports are £10-15 on the "A" store. Plug it into the first Deco unit's other ethernet port and there you have all the ports you might need.

I do wire in to put the Hubs into modem mode - but only ever done it 2/3 times in ~20 years - but dont see why it cant be done on a wifi connection - just try both.

--------------------
John
--------------------

@jbrennand wrote:
Once its running in modem mode, get an unmanaged ethernet switch with 1GB ports - ones with 5-8 extra ethernet ports are £10-15 on the "A" store. Plug it into the first Deco unit's other ethernet port and there you have all the ports you might need.

I do wire in to put the Hubs into modem mode - but only ever done it 2/3 times in ~20 years - but dont see why it cant be done on a wifi connection - just try both.

Think I have one of those switches lying about somewhere..  also when I was looking into modem mode last time I think I read somewhere that once in modem mode only 1 of the ports works on the hub.  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes... and that will be the one you have the first Deco connected too. So all other ethernet connections emanate from the spare ethernet port on the Deco - hence the switch.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Have just done some testing, I enabled 5g on my hub 3 and connected to that and I get the full 200mb download, when I disconnect the hub from Wi-Fi and connect to the deco m5 I get at most 35, I have changed the Ethernet leat to the deco to a cat6 cable, could this slow speed be to do with having it in access point mode, I have 3 decos set up 1 next to hub, 1 in the kitchen not far away and one down in the garage.  The kitchen one is wirelessly fed from the main deco and the garage one is connected to the kitchen one but I also if it connected via Ethernet to the power line, could that have anything to do with my problems….

think I may have solved it, I have removed the Ethernet link from the garage deco and rebooted the deco’s and now I get full speed, my thinking is maybe the decos were confused as to which was main one maybe as how was set up 2 would have theoretically been connected to the hub, 1 via direct link and another via power lines…