cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow/broken internet unless next to hub!

Sophiehannah1
On our wavelength

I had an engineer out a couple months ago to look at my internet a couple months ago, where he 'fixed' the issue I was having.

It has never been perfect but seemed okay.

I then recently got an email to say the pod things were available so I ordered that and have paid for it. Honestly, nothing seemed to change, better or worse.

Last week the internet seemed to be terrible. On work calls all camera's would turn off and break up constantly and the TV upstairs would buffer for ages or barely work. I have moved the pod but nothing has changed and the internet quality has dropped.

I don't want to pay extra for a service that does not work on top of the already bad WiFi. Is there a way this can be looked into and fixed considering I WFH.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

g0akc
Problem sorter
  • Are wired connections OK?
  • Rather than pay for Pods look at getting your own router or mesh system to give you a better wireless solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

I don't actually have anything wired into the hub. Just when I move my laptop and sit next to it, without wiring in, it works a lot better.

The WiFi  connected things always work better downstairs, so it seems to be a matter of being close to the hub.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, 

There may be several factors that can impact wifi signals such as, where the hub is located, objects surrounding the hub, wall density, reflective surfaces, radio interference from other electrical devices and others. These things will not be picked up by diagnostics, only that the hub is working and configured properly. In some instances, a booster may be needed based on these factors or as g0akc has advised. 

Cheers,

Corey C

Hey,

Would the issue not be consistent if the placement was an issue?

Where it is, is the only place it can be due to wiring and it is in an open, unblocked space. 

I am not sure what to do??

Hi Sophiehannah1

Thanks for coming back to us

Really sorry about the broadband issues. Your upstream levels are out of spec so I'll book a tech now.

I'll send a PM to discuss further

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi Sophiehannah1

Thanks for joining me on PM.

Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in. This can be tracked and/or altered here

Let us know how the visit goes

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill