cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow and poor streaming on Sony TV after changing Virgin package.

84peterf
On our wavelength

I have a strange issue. I recently changed my Virgin package from TV, Phone and 250mbs broadband to just 250mbs broadband. The costs were getting ridiculous and I never used the TiVo box or landline  so I was wasting money. The day my contract changed the phone and tv services stopped though broadband speed appeared to stay the same which was fine. Phones and computers and a speed test confirmed this. However when i now try and stream certain content, YoutTube, more4 catch up services on my Linux based Sony tv it continually stalls and buffers. Before the change everything was faultless. I have switched the TV input now to wired on an old powerline adapter and everything plays really well with no buffering. I also have a firestick which plays through wireless faultlessly.

The hub is close to the tv the download speed looks correct on a phone speed test. Sony tv is using the latest software. Hubs been reset and checked online.  Only thing I can see is there is some neighbouring chanel overlap from BT hubs. I'm a little baffled why a problem would suddenly affect one system as some of the TV apps are now unwatchable though I do thankfully have the android firestick to fall back on. Any clues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @84peterf 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about this issue.

Have you managed to try the above suggestion from 84peterf yet? Let us know with how you get on and we can investigate further if needs be

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Hero

We can manually change the WiFi channels from the Hub's menus so as to reduce overlap with other WiFi services.

For 2.4Ghz stick to the preferred channels of 1 or 6 or 11.

5Ghz overlap is often less of a problem channels 36 and 44 are good options at the lower end of the channel list.

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @84peterf 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about this issue.

Have you managed to try the above suggestion from 84peterf yet? Let us know with how you get on and we can investigate further if needs be

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

84peterf
On our wavelength
Thanks for the replies . Haven't yet got around to checking or moving the channel and using a wired connection through old power line adaptors I had from a long while back. I have a wifi analyzer on my phone there's no way I can check the wifi signal on the TV as far as I can tell but never see a signal from the hub on 2.4 ghz and only see a signal on 5ghz. all channel's are five stat at 5ghz. t he 14 2ghz chanels are all red and one star so not sur eif Im getting a 2ghz chanel from the Hub. I don't believe any channel overlap is the issue and its only occurred since I changed my package. On my phone speed looks ok at 143 Mbs stability wobbly at 58%.Upload is stable at 88%.

84peterf
On our wavelength

I have manage to run a wifi speed test today through the TVs web browser and the results are pretty dreadful for both Sony tvs running Linux browser. Download speed first test was 4.34 Mbs upload fine at 27.7 Mbs. Upstairs on a similar model TV 36.2Mbs and 26.8 Mbs upload. This seems ridiculously slow for Virgin 250 Mbs broadband. M phone however at the same distance from the router registers 170.Mbs Downloand and 27 Mbs upload and Macbook Pro in the bedroom upstairs registers 100 mbs. The router is about 3 metres away from TV downstairs with no obstructions.

Is this a TV setting on both TV's or A Virgin media setting thats been changed since I downgraded and removed Tivo box and phone from package?

Hi @84peterf 

It wouldn't be due to the package change.

Is the TV near the router? If so, are you able to connect it via Ethernet? 

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

84peterf
On our wavelength

Hi John thanks for the reply.

Its all rather odd . Router is about 3 meters away. I have connected  old slow tp link powerline adaptors that work  better than wireless directly to the TV. Though I tried through wireless last evening and it seemed much improved  streaming video on You tube than before. Have contacted Sony and been through most of their recommended procedures but little has changed. WiIl tolerate it for now and in all honesty it doesn't impinge on anything as the firestick streams and works really  fast and well but I hate not knowing why and would love to be able understand and correct  the problem.

Thanks again.

Hi 84peterf,

Thank you for reaching back out, it is a strange one and unfortunately something we are unable to support, you can reach outto sony's Forums to see if you can find any further support there.

Regards

Paul.