cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow WiFi on iPhone

DCrossland
On our wavelength

Hi, over the past couple of months I have experienced very slow WiFi when using my iPhone 7, all the other devices in my house work fine with no issues but mine and my girlfriends iPhones appear to have intermittent connection. I have tried the usual things, ensuring the router isn’t obstructed, turning off anything that could be interrupting the signal and even run some cables to some devices so the WiFi isn’t as busy but still my connect seems hit and miss. When my connection seems to drop I still have full signal showing on the phone, when I do a speed test it’s inconclusive, sometimes it won’t let me do a test at all and appears to have no internet and other times it does a test and starts slow 2-10mbps and builds up to the usual 100-200mbps yet my phone still struggles loading simple images or videos on the likes of YouTube/instagram. Please can anyone help or has anyone else experienced this before?

Thanks in advance 

48 REPLIES 48

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like a setting on the iPhone needs altering.  Have you tried asking/posting in the Mac forums or in Usenet uk.com.sys.mac ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’ve searched on the Mac forums but not found any fixes, I’ve tried to reset my settings on the iPhone and done everything I could think of short of setting it up as a brand new phone. 

I noticed something strange happen this week. I turned off cell data so it was just connected to WiFi and then went on instagram Search feed, all the photos and videos loaded up quickly then I started to scroll, after about 30 seconds of scrolling they stopped loading so I flicked my phone into airplane mode for a few second and then back into WiFi. Instagram then started to load the photos and videos again. I tested this for around 10 minutes and it was clear that it works and then the WiFi drops or for some reason caps the data.

Anyone got any ideas what would cause this?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DCrossland wrote:

I’ve searched on the Mac forums but not found any fixes, I’ve tried to reset my settings on the iPhone and done everything I could think of short of setting it up as a brand new phone.

Anyone got any ideas what would cause this?

Do you get the same problem when you connect to other wifi networks -  outside of your home ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Pilgrimdan
Tuning in

I feel your pain! I too have been suffering with the same issue for the last couple of months!...it’s driving me and my wife up the wall to the point I’m looking outside of virgin media for the first time so that we might get a better internet connection! It does work via Ethernet ok, and our other devices most of the time, but connecting on our iPhones is becoming stupid! The connection is there one minute and gone the next. The most ridiculous thing is if we go into settings, switch WiFi off and on again, it then reconnects, but we’re having to do this every few minutes sometimes! I was just hoping I’d find a solution on here, but seems it’s a common problem. I just hope virgin wake up and fix this soon so I don’t have the hassle of switching providers after 8 years!! (I’ve literally just had to switch WiFi off and on again to send this!!!)

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

update to iOS12 (available now) and see if that fixes it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Yes, i've had the same issue to again for a few months, switch off wifi, pages load fine, switch back on and intermittent or no internet, Mac works fine as does the Echo. Somethings changed, just needs admitting and fixing

We are having the same issue and have been for a good few months. Virgin don’t seem to know the answer and keep telling us our internet is fine when they run the tests. 

Im beyond frustrated. Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

Thanks

I split my SSIDs, stopped it auto switching between channels, reset my phone and all of the other tips but none of them worked.

In the end I got my iPad open and my iPhone open at the same time then called VM Support, I explained my issue and what I had already tried. I run tests simultaneously and the results were as expected (iPad was fine, iPhone was not), they had no option but to look into the issue further. The technician was great, he remotely accessed my router and also got me to do some changes (required my laptop). Unfortunately I couldn’t take notes of all the settings that were changed but in the end it appears my issue has been sorted.

On the rare occasion it doesn’t load now just quickly switching the WiFi on and off on my phone works. 

Therfore my advice would be get a device that’s working and your iPhone then call the tech support team.

I’m glad you managed to get it sorted!

Thanks for this, I will try calling them today and see how I get on!

Ok so i have just called VM and they are still saying everything is working correctly and there is nothing they can do........pulling my hair out here!