Menu
eddie00001
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Slow WiFi and error messages

Starting a few weeks ago, I've noticed a marked drop in my WiFi speeds.  Up until early Jan I was able to get >180Mbps pretty much anywhere in the house, but now, even if I'm practically sat on the Hub (SH3), I'm lucky to get 90Mbps, normally it's hovering around 50Mbps.  Wired connections are perfect, and nearly always hitting 200Mbps.

I ran the diagnostics within the Hub and get the following:WiFiProb.jpeg

The text below list my WiFI devices and advises poor signal. (Few screen shots below with some error - grateful for any advice)

Other info I pulled from the router are:

Statu.jpeg

And then this which has various errors etc going back to Jan:

Errors.jpeg

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow WiFi and error messages

Whilst waiting for your pictures to be approved.. Have you read the 2 "pink" posts at the top of this board on "optimising wifi". If so, did you analyse your wifi environment and try some of the suggestions? Renaming the ssid's of the 2.4 & 5 GHz networks as well as disabling "channel optimisation" is also worth trying as it has solved wifi issues for a number of people on here.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
eddie00001
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, I’ll try disabling the channel optimisation.

As for SSID they were already named separately so I don’t need to change them.

I’d say the Hub is in the right place as the past three years I’ve not had an issue with download speeds anywhere in the house, it only started around January 

0 Kudos
eddie00001
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

wifi.jpegWiFi AnalyserThis is how my network and surrounding ones look like

0 Kudos
eddie00001
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Made the changes suggested and no difference in WiFi speeds C9E1BB48-79D9-4183-92F7-D55514F1A432.jpeg

0 Kudos
eddie00001
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Reposting the image below, now minus the MAC address Smiley Embarassed Hope these error may mean something to you guys

Errors.jpeg

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) John_GS
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi eddie00001,

Thanks for posting, sorry you are having issues with WiFi speeds. 

To confirm, since it started dropping, have you tried a reboot/reset on the router?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Highlighted
eddie00001
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I’ve tried a restart and a reset of the hub

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) John_GS
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Okay cheers, will send you a quick PM so I can get further details in order to help

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What device are you testing the wireless speed with?
To get speeds around 180Mbps I take it you are using the 5Ghz band.

Looking at you graph there is a Sky connection which is emitting a stronger signal than your Hub. As the 80MHz channel is overlapping with the channel you are broadcasting on, your devices will be sharing bandwidth with that network as only one device on either network sharing the channel be be able to broadcast at one time.

Along with the Sky channel you have a neighbouring VM network and with along with the Sky channel may be causing channel width fallback, reducing the channel width your Hub is broadcasting on, thus reducing speed.

You could try a higher channels bearing in mind they will be subject to DFS and you will need to wait 60secs to connect

Another thing to be aware of that your devices aren't roaming to the 2GHz band by checking your devices are not set to automatically set to connect to the 2.4GHz band as well as the 5GHz band