Menu
kelvin156
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow Ethernet and Ghost Network

I am suffering a few different issues. 

I am trying to introduce an Etherrnet Switch into my network to allow ethernet connections upstairs from running one single cable.  The Etherney switch is Gigabit, TL-SG105S is the model number. I am only getting 80MB when my wifi runs around 400MB.  I have tried to remove the switch from the network and i only get around 80MB when running a Cat5E cable, circa 20metres from Hub 3 to PC which also has Gigabit Ethernet, Realtech PCIe GBE Controller is the name.

When i look at the network name, it states that the Ethernet is plugged into VMxxxx_EXT.

VM_xxxx_EXT is an entended netwrok which was set up when i was previously using a Wifi Extender.  That WIFI extender is now unplugged and back in the box.  I am therefore unsure why my PC which is cabled to the router;

1 - Thinks i am connected to an old wif extended network.

2 - Giving me 80mb speeds.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Ethernet and Ghost Network

Do the following for testing have a short cable from the hub to the switch then from the switch the 20M cable to the PC see what speeds you get.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Try a different cable.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
kelvin156
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That does not change the results, i get the same results as when removing the switch completley.

0 Kudos
kelvin156
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

EDIT - Checking the speed via Ethernet to a laptop from a 1M cable is only giving me 150MB so maybe my current issues are related to another issue with the overall service

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Post the network, upstream and downstream logs from the hubs admin pages back here as text 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@kelvin156 wrote:

When i look at the network name, it states that the Ethernet is plugged into VMxxxx_EXT.

VM_xxxx_EXT is an entended netwrok which was set up when i was previously using a Wifi Extender.  That WIFI extender is now unplugged and back in the box.  I am therefore unsure why my PC which is cabled to the router;

The "ghost" network, as you call it, is just a friendly name that windows assigns to networks - did you used to have your PC connected into the extender by cable? Either way, your machine is recognising the network as the one it used to know as VMxxx_EXT - this is benign and can be ignored. 

As for the speed - when you connect the switch to the hub - can you log into the hub and see what speed has been negotiated on the link between the hub and switch.. afraid I'm not entirely sure where you'd see this, but it'll be there somewhere! 

0 Kudos