cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Ethernet / Fast Wifi?

loughran12
Tuning in

I'm having issues whereby my SuperHub 3 router is passing super slow, ~5Mb, via ethernet yet ~300Mb via Wifi.

I have a google mesh setup with the hub running in router mode and work has became increasingly more tiresome due to the speeds so i disconnected the whole mesh system and back to the SuperHub only.

Things i've tried;

• Ethernet connected in modem mode
  • Ethernet connected not in modem mode
  • Various ethernet cables
  • Various ethernet ports
  • Various devices connected to the ethernet

I've only spent an hour and a half on Virgin support (helpdesk lvl 1, helpdesk lvl 2, gadget team, broadband team, senior broadband team) - to solely have a ticket raised to check my internet performance for 30 days for Ofcom (which won't show anyway as it is the ethernet speed which is slow which they couldn't see on their end).

Can anyone help?  I was thinking i needed a replacement router but told multiple times on the phone that would also impact the Wifi (surely they run on different cards and that's not the case?)

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I think the fact you are getting 300 on wifi (what package are you actually on?) it suggests >300 is being delivered into the Hub and that should be visible on an ethernet connection. Its possible that the Hub's "switching" circuitry is kaput and the wifi remains good - but someone more technically gifted should comment on that.

Whilst waiting - can you do the speed test again - exactly this way....

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have first put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected that could affect speeds

Test the speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you very much for the reply!

I'm on 350Mb package so the Wifi is spot on!

Below are the results from modem mode (tried on another laptop - and similar numbers)

BrowserLatencyJitterDownloadUpload
Chrome21.3 ms2.50 ms5.63 Mbps4.21 Mbps
Edge21.6 ms3.04 ms5.71 Mbps4.20 Mbps

Will boot into networking mode now and give that a go too

Please also see results below for safe mode with networking on - pretty much similar;

Chrome23.3 ms3.70 ms5.03 Mbps4.21 Mbps
Edge20.4 ms2.37 ms5.73 Mbps4.50 Mbps

Might be the NIC you have or software it has slowing you down.

or a bad cable try a new CAT6 one

5m - white - 1 pieces - CAT.6 Ethernet Lan Network Cable RJ45 | 10/100/1000/Mbit/s | Patchcabel | CA...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you

Tried it with other cables i had lying about and results seem to be very similar;

cat 5 cable;

Chrome21.6 ms2.11 ms5.73 Mbps4.89 Mbps
Edge22.1 ms2.45 ms5.53 Mbps5.05 Mbps

cat 5e cable;

Chrome21.6 ms2.24 ms5.73 Mbps4.82 Mbps
Edge21.5 ms2.39 ms5.77 Mbps5.06 Mbps

Forgot to note also this issue is with two separate laptops in the house (~8 years difference in age) - though are both Dell

What are the models of the laptops?

Dell Inspiron 7548

Dell Lattitude 5410

looking at the Dell Inspiron 7548 it does not have a Ethernet port so what are you using for Ethernet?