Menu
Ishmas
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sky Q router with suberhub in modem mode

Help would be massively appreciated, apologies in advance if a previous post covers this but I live in a very old L shaped house which is on 2 different ring main systems.

I have had sky broadband until now but maxed out at 7mbs however with a sky q router and booster it did reach the entire house. Just had virgin connected and have signed up to 100mbs. The problem is that the cable comes in at one end of the house and the wifi does not reach the whole house.

I have been advised to get a ethernet/cat 5 cable run from the router to the other end of the house. I wish to keep sky tv (it turns out losing sky atlantic is not an option for the Mrs) and am looking to upgrade to sky Q.

I was wondering if I could use my superhub 3 in modem mode and plug my sky Q router via ethernet and then use sky Q router/mesh to boost signal around the house, helped when I upgrade sky tv to sky Q too?

I have tried this but get the point where I have put the super-hub into modem mode and I get a new wifi name of Virgin media, along with my sky account but I do not know what to type as username and password in to the virgin account and my sky account does not work. 

Any ideas - the hope that Virgin would solve all my wifi problems seems further away than ever right now, instead I have a system that is brilliant for downloads in a few rooms of the house but other than that appears inferior in every respect, not least in respect of customer service.

It appears my alternative to the cat 5 cable is a different router / mesh solution. Any ideas appreciated, I have read the ASUS routers are good, and / or mesh systems but I was hoping if Sky was going to charge me £200 to install sky Q (I have a very cheap sky tv deal I am hoping to keep so have to pay installation) that I could use their kit, which to now has worked very well.

Yours desperately seeking some help

Will (a deeply unpractical man)

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Q router with suberhub in modem mode

with the superhub in modem mode, you shouldn't get any virgin wifi. when in modem mode it is just a cable modem with no routing or wifi capabilites. The sky router should then do all the work.. however it is unlikely the sky q router has an ethernet internet connection (I haven't looked at is manual), you'll have to look and see if it has an option for connecting to using ethernet as an internet source.

0 Kudos
Ishmas
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks v much for the very quick reply Stevedh2
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If Sky Atlantic is the deal breaker, you can pay £7.99 a month for a NOW TV Entertainment pass. Amongst other things you get Sky 1, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, Gold, Comedy Central, Sky Arts, ITV Encore, Fox, MTV, Nat Geo Wild, Discovery Channel and SyFy. There are several devices you can use to watch NOW TV.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

I can't help you with you Sky Q hub as it's an ADSL2+ device and I don't know if it will work with the Virgin Media hub. However, you should certainly run an Ethernet cable to the other end of the house which you can connect to a wireless access point. As your hub in still in router mode, you'll get WiFi from both the hub and the wireless access point.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
zimboy562
Just joined
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Did you ever get your wi-fi issue sorted out, if so how?

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Think the best you can do is to use the sky q as an access point, with hub still as main router and not modem mode

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Using-2nd-Sky-Q-Hub-as-access-point/td-p/2845054

0 Kudos