Menu
mandijt
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Signal not reaching upstairs.

I live in a small 2 bedrooms semi detached house, and the wireless router is downstairs.  My son who games on his XBox can't receive a signal strong enough for him to play his games.  I'm constantly being disconnected from the wifi also.  The maximum number of devices that could be connected at any one time are 4.  VM have said the problem is the number of devices, and that the router is downstairs - they have said they will move it upstairs for £99!or I can have a booster for £3 per month.  The internal walls are NOT brick, but are made from compacted material - so wouldn't have thought that was the problem?  Has anyone experienced these problems?  And are there any other solutions please.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Signal not reaching upstairs.

If the hub is moved upstairs how are you going to get decent WiFi downstairs? I suggest first trying homeplugs, buy from a retailer with a good return policy.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Roger's suggestion is good - my lad uses a pair to connect his gaming consoles to the Hub downstairs and has no problems gaming at all. see the link for an explanation and some suggestions.
There are some things you can do to improve the wifi too - what Hub model do you have (printed on the base sticker) and what VM package are you on?

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
andrewkp
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Try moving the hub away from the wall and TV a bit so it doesn't block the signal, it's a good test even if you can't leave it there.

The hubs WiFi is not the best.  I've stuck my into modem mode and bought a good tri channel WiFi router which has a stronger signal and provided there are no thick walls that should be good enough.

If you run some cat 5e cable upstairs and connect via that, that will provide the most reliable and fastest connection.

0 Kudos