Menu
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Signal issues with Ring Video Doorbell and VM Hub 3

I am a bit confused, you shouldn't have been able to change the channel to CH 6 if wireless optimisation was enabled. If channel optimisation selected CH 6 in agreement what WiFi Analyser was recommended then channel optimisation is working as it should (stands back in amazement). Personally, I would turn it off and select the channel manually being aware that wireless environments are dynamic and further changes may be required in the future.

Yes, you will need to connect the Router back to the Hub by ethernet cable. This removes the variables like interference that can disrupt the signal from the Hub to the router. It also negates the half duplex problem that halves the speed.

Using the router as an access point would be to replace the Chime Pro, as a more reliable method of extending the network.

There are so many variables associated with wireless so there are no hard and fast rules, just finding what works best.

The important thing would be to test the signal on the 2.4Ghz network outside as I described earlier.

0 Kudos
CalStoneman
Joining in
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I haven't actually changed it channel 6 manually, the auto selection was in agreement with the app. Makes a change for auto to actually work I know. Based on that I just left it to pick the channels automatically. I will try a speed test outside on the 2.4 band later.

Thank you so much for all your help with this.

0 Kudos
CalStoneman
Joining in
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ok so this is interesting, I've now split the two wifi bands and done a speed test right where the doorbell is, with the front door shut and everything. I'm getting 39.01MBPS download and 5.45 upload. My full results are here in case there is any other data on them that helps anyone.

Now as the Chime Pro halves the network speed that would take the upload speed to only just above the 2MBPS upload Ring recommend, so I guess the issues are starting to make more sense now.

If I connect the doorbell directly to the 2.4G network, not the Chime Pro, I'm assuming it is then more likely to receive around the 5MBPS I just got?

If this doesn't work I'll try setting up the Plusnet hub, though I'm starting to suspect that will struggle to push the signal out just as much.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The PlusNet will be better as it will be a WAP rather than an extender. You can configure it for only 2.4Ghz. Position it as close as possible to the Ring.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
CalStoneman
Joining in
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The PlusNet will be better as it will be a WAP rather than an extender. You can configure it for only 2.4Ghz. Position it as close as possible to the Ring.

So turn off the 5GHZ band on the Plusnet router completely? I'm not certain if this is possible, but think it might be.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have some experience with one of the PlusNet routers which does broadcast both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and you can decide which one(s) you want to enable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
CalStoneman
Joining in
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I've still got nowhere with this.

Connecting the Chime Pro to the 2.4GHZ network of my VM Hub didn't help at all. The next thing I did was setup my Plusnet Hub to function as an access point for the doorbell. The Plusnet Hub is connected to the VM Router via Ethernet, and is located as close to the doorbell as I can get it, and the 2.4GHZ network is the only one enabled.

Performing a speed test outside connected to the Plusnet Hub got a download speed of 0.44 and an upload speed of 2.56, so just enough for the doorbell to function in theory, but I highly doubt it personally.

Performing another speed test in exactly the same conditions, but connected to the VM 2.4GHZ network gave a download of 25.6 and upload of 6.0.

I'm unsure why the two networks are so different, and why the Plusnet one, which is closer, is providing a slower speed. One of the many reason I left Plusnet was due to getting nowhere near the speeds we were paying for so I have a feeling it's a crap router.

Anyway, as the 2.4 GHZ network from VM is providing a relatively good speed I'm still unsure what the issue is here.

Any more ideas? I've tried many different channels on all devices by the way but with no real difference. I'm very surprised at how good VM's automatic channel selection actually is.

0 Kudos
MattLum0108
Just joined
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I am also having a similar problem with Ring door bell pro and the floodlight cam. There is a slight delay in receiving notifications. My main concern is when viewing a motion event and either at second 3 or 6 the image freezes for about 2-6 seconds so can miss the key moment.

I have spent an hour or so on the phone with ring and we trying different things there end, which only seemed to change when it froze and duration of the freeze. We then re-connected the ring door bell to a mobile hotspot on my mobile phone to see how this worked. On the playback of the motion event, there was no freezing and we did quite a few tests.  Whist the picture quality was down slightly but everything else was ok. When viewing the floodlight cam which was still on the VGN Hub 3 it had the freezing issues.

Ring advise this is due to lost package being sent/restricted by the hub/firewall. So need to check the following; Outbound communications, is the router packet filtering, are all the required ports opened. I am the same, where i need to research into this.

I tried to call VGN for assistance and guidance, but the helpdesk didn't understand and transferred me to a payable service. which i wasn't impressed about. As what i thought i was asking was simple enough for the ISP provider and their equipment. what ports are blocked and how can i get it to work with ring? As im sure im not the only one with problems!!

I need to figure out what ports needs to be opened, and i was also thinking of buying a new router and turning the VGN Hub into modem mode. As some have suggested doing that and it seems to work. They have also said to avoid routers with Puma 6 chipset as that can be an issue as well and apparently the VGN hub 3 has that chip. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Not much you can do to avoid the Puma 6 chipset getting your own router may likely solve your problem if no packet loss on your connection so setup a BQM with your new router.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality
you likely don't need to open any ports.

0 Kudos