Menu
CalStoneman
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Signal issues with Ring Video Doorbell and VM Hub 3

Hi,

I got a Ring Video Doorbell for Christmas and am struggling to get it to pick up a reliable signal to my Virgin Media Hub 3.0 router. The doorbell isn't very far from the router. It is on a brick wall which I expected would add some level of interference, but it still should be better than it is. When I just had the doorbell, the signal strength according to the Ring app was usually at around -68, video and audio would stutter all the time, and sometimes the doorbell would lose connection entirely. I purchased the Chime Pro, which acts as a wifi extender for Ring products, and connected that to an outlet as close to both my router and doorbell as possible. This has increased the signal slightly, now I receive between -55 and -65 from monitoring it, but this still doesn't seem to be good enough. The video quality is still very stuttered, and trying to talk to someone at the door is completely impossible as the connection breaks up constantly. The bad signal also means there is a huge delay in receiving motion and ring notifications, sometimes around 20-30 seconds which is far too long.

I have done a speed test on my iPhone right next to where the doorbell is located and I'm getting 108 megabits download and 5.29 megabits upload, so I'd assume with speeds like that reaching the front door, the signal is quite strong there.

When I've contacted Ring Support about this, they've eventually just said it's a wifi issue and to contact my ISP. I have a feeling though that Virgin would tell me to get in touch with Ring and it would just keep going in the same circle.

At the time of typing this, the signal strength on the Chime Pro is -50 and the signal strength on the doorbell is -62. As mentioned both devices are pretty close to the router. This is the only device that is having trouble, all other wireless devices on the network are absolutely fine.

Any suggestions on how to get this working? Are there any settings on the router I could change? I do have a router provided by Plusnet from when I was with them, could that be used as some kind of access point for the Chime Pro and doorbell?

Any suggestions appreciated. 🙂

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Signal issues with Ring Video Doorbell and VM Hub 3

To me, if all other devices you own work fine and your getting over 100mb in that location then that proves your ISP is not at fault.  

0 Kudos
CalStoneman
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Exactly. Virgin Media doesn't seem to be the issue, but Ring support weren't getting that when I tried explaining it to them.
0 Kudos
CalStoneman
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

In case this helps anyone, on the connected devices list of my Hub, the Chime Pro is connected and has 9.08Mbps under the speed column. That is significantly lower than every other device on the network.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

When you were testing on the iPhone, were you testing on the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band?
I believe that the Ring Doorbells use the 2.4GHz band, worth checking I could be wrong.
If so, you will need to test on the 2.4 GHz band outside with your front door shut. You are correct the brick wall would hamper the signal, not only that but any cavity insulation, which if foil backed you can say goodbye to your wireless signal. The proximity to the door would have an affect as it may attenuate the wireless signal less.
Being outside the doorbell would be exposed to all the other wireless networks in the street that could be causing interference.

I am not sure what you are testing the wireless signal with, but does it show what other networks are in range, and what channel they are broadcasting on?
If so, you could try changing the wireless channel the Hub is broadcasting on, sticking to the non-overlapping channels 1,6 and 11. It is also worth keeping a lookout for other sources of wireless interference like A\V Streaming Devices, Baby Monitors, Older Cordless Phones,Microwave Ovens, Plasma TVs, Security Systems etc.etc.

The Chime Pro is basically a wireless repeater, which would halve wireless speeds straight of the bat due to the half duplex nature of wireless. Configuring your old Plusnet Router as an Access Point wired back to the Hub would probably be a more robust solution.

For video streaming you are looking for a wireless signal strength of -67dBm or better and a speed of 8Mbps or better.

0 Kudos
CalStoneman
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm testing the speed with the speedtest.net app, I'm not actually sure which band I was on at the time as I haven't split the two bands yet as I wasn't sure if this would make a difference. You are correct that the Ring devices only use the 2.4GHZ band, so if these devices are only searching for and connecting to that band anyway, would splitting them and giving them different SSIDs help?

The hub is currently set to channel 6, and according to this app it's on the best channel.

When you say using my Plusnet hub as an access point might be a better solution, how would you go about doing this? I'd still like to use the VM Hub as my primary router if possible, as it works great for everything else. Would this be possible?

Thanks for your help. 🙂

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Try disabling "channel optimisation" in the "smart wifi" section of the Hub3 settings. See if that helps - if it doesnt you can always turn it back on.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

In theory splitting the bands should not make a difference, as you say the Ring doorbell will not be able to see the 5 GHz band. However, there have been quite a few posts on here that splitting the bands has helped connectivity issues. Whether the actual splitting of the bands has helped or it was the network reset that solved the problem, or an issue on how the Hub3  (mis)handles the wireless roaming standards is anyone's guess. It might be worth trying though.

WiFi Analyser is a good app use it myself. I take it you have selected the channel with the least overlapping channels.

I am not familiar with the Plusnet Hub, but you can usually turn an old router into an Access Point by connecting a PC to the router and log in (probably 192.168.1.1) and changing the router's IP address to something within the Hub3's DHCP range something like 192.168.0.240. You then need to turn the router's DHCP server off. I would now configure the wireless settings. Personally, I would use the same channel as the Hub but use a different SSID, so the doorbell will connect to the router and not the Hub and prevent other devices connecting to the Router. But this is up to you, you can use the same SSID as the Hub and let your wireless clients decide what to connect to.

CalStoneman
Joining in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Have just tried turning off channel optimisation, so will give that a bit of time and see how that goes. Will try splitting the bands as well.

Probably a daft question here... Once everything you mentioned is configured with the Plusnet Hub, I'm assuming it would be connected to the VM router via ethernet? I have never extended my network in this way before...
0 Kudos
CalStoneman
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Also, when trying things such as splitting the bands or connecting a different router, would you guys recommend I connect the Chime Pro to the new network and let the doorbell run off that, or connect the doorbell directly?
0 Kudos