Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Booster - FTTP??

Alham
Tuning in

Hi

Having TV and Broadband issues.

We’ve had work done in house over past few months and moved out whilst it was being done. The electrician moved the Virgin cables to a new cupboard and put in some Cat6/Coax etc. 

The units we have are

Hub 3 supplied from a Tratec FDU-51 4 Way Distribution Unit

We also found another unit (I think an older unit) that was under the floor - Technetix IPI-51 Isolator / Power Inserter - not used currently

We also have found a coax cable which has a two inch long barrel covered by plastic protector in-line in the middle of the cable - Teleste ASH-GISX101-VM01 5-1700Mhz Withstand Galvanic Isolator

I’m sure we also had a cable that ran from a socket in the living room under the house. We were originally an NTL customer in early 2000s and then moved to Virgin and moved to 600Mb Broadband. If this supply was switched off then it caused issues with the TV.

Now we are back in, the Broadband has been ok but been stopping occasionally but the TV boxes are showing network errors and is only reaching 16% on channel refresh and no TV or catchup etc. 

Can anyone please let me know what the power cable looked like please and where it went to so we can search for it. It was not like those other supplies noted on other posts where the Coax came out of the power unit - this was more like a charger socket with a thin power cable coming out of it.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

In the image example at message #6 that is a DC power supply (not AC) and a later model of splitter unit but such a thing may exist for your unit.

I would be doubtful the offshore telephone support would even know what a splitter is, let alone the finer points of what power supply is required!

If you wait for a reply here in a day or two from the VM forum team you are more likely to get useful help (or from one of the other forum members such as VIP member jb66 who I think might know the answer to this). Might save you a frustrating and lengthy phone call!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Cant helps re the cabling but... some basic questions.

What VM TV boxes are they - TiVo/V6/360? How many of each?

Are they all connecting to the Hub on ethernet cables or wifi ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi - both V6 boxes. I only have one on at the moment but same situation with both. I have tried connecting them via wireless and by ethernet to hub. The errors arr

Unable to prepare channel info S101

Loading channels has stopped at 16% on both boxes

When I go to home page it says Invalid Network Settings - C233

No channels are showing and no catchup etc is available 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Can't offer detailed assistance with your cables (which I don't know too much about) but do these links help any (VM video showing possible setups and Tratec datasheet). Both are quite old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoUvfOSLfIo

https://www.avforums.com/attachments/85-fdu-appnote-pdf.102982/

Most online info shows the power being fed via the coax. Some newer splitters seem to use a conventional DC power supply.

Does your splitter unit actually have a conventional DC 'barrel' type power socket anywhere on it? Maybe below the raised section in the RHS, if it is anywhere?

Your error codes seem to refer to both issues with the coax connection and the network connection.

Has your electrician installed his own new network and new coax cables or simply moved those belonging to VM? How confident are you in the abilities of your electrician's network and AV cabling? Without the power supply I assume you are just relying on passive splitting by the unit which will result in losses.

From the info I can find online, and above, it looks like the FDU-51 should be used in conjunction with the IPI-51 and a separate power supply unit to provide power to the FDU-51.

You could ask VM to come and review the setup for a £25 non-fault call out but they may take a dim view of any DIY cabling of the connections which they advise against in their T&Cs.

Some of the regulars on here will know more about the details of the splitter setup and may add something more specific and more useful!

Hi

I can’t see anywhere that a power supply would fit but then can’t remember exactly what was under the floor - only that switching the power off had an impact on the TV. 

The electrician has only moved Virgin’s cables from under the floor to a cupboard where they have terminated the Cat6 and Coax cables. 

Thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You'll have to wait and see if anyone else in-the-know responds and can advise. Some other online pic's (of a later splitter unit) do show a conventional-looking power supply feeding power via the coax. Maybe at some point along the way you had one of those fitted but only you would know what you have had in the past.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/222890323320_/Technetix-HDU-400-Virgin-Media-Cable-Signal-Bo...

In any event, I am guessing that the the FDU-51 splitter is probably quite an old device now and the power supply for it is probably quite a specific thing for that particular unit (the PDF link above mentions a PSA-1503 with 15V ac output, which I doubt you will readily replace unless you can find an old one via eBay etc.).

You maybe need an up-to-date replacement model of splitter/power supply from VM.

Hi

That looks like it might be what we had - thanks.

Will call VM and say to them. I called a couple of days ago but they had not seen a power type system like we had. 

Thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

In the image example at message #6 that is a DC power supply (not AC) and a later model of splitter unit but such a thing may exist for your unit.

I would be doubtful the offshore telephone support would even know what a splitter is, let alone the finer points of what power supply is required!

If you wait for a reply here in a day or two from the VM forum team you are more likely to get useful help (or from one of the other forum members such as VIP member jb66 who I think might know the answer to this). Might save you a frustrating and lengthy phone call!

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Alham, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear of the issues you've been faced with here. Upon looking at our system I can see you was able to contact the team and another appointment was arranged - can you let me know how that went? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Hi - all sorted thanks but now have a new issue with TV. Re hardware - appears I had an old powered signal booster system and now replaced with a new modern one.  
Thanks