cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I upgrade from SuperHub 2ac to 5?

SerialZombieKil
Tuning in

I currently have a SH 2ac on 200MB. I use it as both a modem and router. I have my main PC tower wired, I also have it wired to my Freeview box but the TV aerial signal is so bad that I haven't used it in months. I use 2.4GHz WiFi for my laptop and printer and I use 5GHz WiFi for my partner and I's mobile phones. I have no problems at all with WiFI coverage as we live in a small level flat and we experience no other problems either. I have had the SH 2ac for a long time, I would say 11 years but I don't think they're been out that long. Anyway, I have been offered an upgrade in the past to newer hubs but I have always refused due to untold forum posts about how crap any newer hubs are. I'm hearing the SH 5 was rolled-out about 6 months ago basically without being tested much which apparently is the way of things when VM have their own logo on hubs rather than using a brand that cares more about hardware driven products that last the whole warranty rather than VM branded products that care less about hardware as they're given for free and can solve any bugs by updating the software after bugs are reported by VM customers to VM.

I received an email today: "Upgrade to Hub 5 today at no extra cost"

So my question is: is the SH5 with it's current software better than the Netgear made SH2ac for my required usage? Should I upgrade from my reliable SH2ac to the new SH5 or keep with my current setup?

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your description suggests that your existing hub 2ac arrangement is working without issues.

Read through the past topics on here on the Hub 5 and you will see that 'trial' device might be a better description in its present format rather than 'upgrade'.

Plenty of issues have been reported with the Hub 5 (especially with wireless compatibility of devices). Haven't kept up with the latest changes on here but you can go back through the most recent topics and see what the current issues are.

Thanks for the response. Yeah my current set-up is working just fine, I just wondered: are there any advantages of me trialling the SH5 compared to the SH2ac? But as you said plenty of issues have been reported. If I was to increase my speed at any point they'd have to give me a new hub anyway. So maybe it might be best to wait until such a time as maybe the software on the SH5 will be better by then. The only way I'd increase my speed is if it was a free upgrade tbh as paying more than £25 a month is not an option tbh.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If your wifi devices are all compatible with the Hub 5's ax wifi protocol. it might be worth a try. 

However, DO NOT immediately return the SH2ac, as if things don't work out, you can get the old Hub reinstated. 

If it all works out, then return the SH2ac.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

"If it ain't bust, don't try to fix it"

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for your responses. I may take them up on their offer and trial it then and if it's not any good, I can ask them to reinstate my old box. I don't know if our laptop and our mobiles are ax / WiFi 6 compatible. I don't see why they wouldn't be. If anyone else has anything to add it would be much appreciated! Btw are Arris who make the new SH5 a particularly good manufacturer? I've not heard of them whereas obviously I have heard of Nether. I hope they're not Arris by name and Arris (🍑) nature. That's a Cockneys joke for you there 😋

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SerialZombieKil wrote:

Thanks for your responses. I may take them up on their offer and trial it then and if it's not any good, I can ask them to reinstate my old box. I don't know if our laptop and our mobiles are ax / WiFi 6 compatible. I don't see why they wouldn't be. <snip>

There are quite a few threads here about the Hub 5 not working with some user's older wifi devices.  As stated previously, do not return the old Hub until you are sure everything is working    🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You could always put the SH2 into modem mode and get your own (better quality) router and wireless equipment. I did that ~20 years ago and have never had any wifi connection issues.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I don't see any point in buying any other equipment as the current equipment works just fine and I have absolutely no problem with it. The only reason I have ordered a new superhub is because it was offered to me. I will trial it to see if it is as good or better than my current superhub but if not I will change back. The only advantage I can see is maybe my internet speed will be faster both wired and over Wi-Fi.

Whilst the communication from VM is unclear and may suggest otherwise, it seems they don't now want SH2's returned, and are happy for customers to recycle (or in this case retain on the off chance).  However, you may find that getting an SH2 reconnected is difficult - it is possible you'll have to accept a secondhand Hub 3 if there's problems with the Hub 5.

Also, my Hub 5 worked OK for two weeks, and I was hassled to return my Hub 3, I did so.  Since then there have been random dropouts of an hour or so every other day.  I can't say that the Hub 5 itself is at fault, but this didn't happen with the Hub 3.