cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I turn off 2.4 GHz?

Milarepa
Joining in

I have recently upgraded to the hub five.

I have fairly new iPhones in the house and Xbox x and iPad Pro. I have no idea whether these can pick up 5 GHz signals.

I have heard it is beneficial to turn off the 2.4 GHz signal on the router.

I was wondering what your opinions on this would be

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Hero

For VM's WiFi Pods, the requirements for correct functioning are:-

1) for the SSID to be the same on the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands

2) for Wireless Optimisation to be Enabled.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

carl_pearce
Community elder

Some devices like doorbells, security cameras, and others use 2.4Ghz only so depending on what devices you have it wouldn't be recommended.

Instead you can split your SSID (network name) into two, one for 5Ghz and one for 2.4Ghz, so you can decide which one to connect each device to.

If you've already got a number of devices connected you can leave 5Ghz as is, and change 2.4Ghz to something like VMxxxxxxx_2G, so you do not have to reconnect all your devices.

Milarepa
Joining in

Thank you very much for your quick response. I have two outdoor nest cameras that I believe work on 2.4 only. 
do I have to disable smart optimisation in order to create another network?

Otherwise, presumably all devices could switch from one band to another??

If you haven't got 5G and 2.4G bands then you need to split your Wi-Fi network, instructions on how to do that are in the link below, when you have selected Advanced Settings you will also need to select Wireless, Wireless Signal and click on Disable Channel Optimization at the bottom then click on Apply Changes. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Help/Splitting-your-home-WiFi-networks/m-p/4726309#M28

Milarepa
Joining in

Great thanks

Milarepa
Joining in

Thanks for your help on this. I have two separate networks as I was getting interference with a wireless speaker system so hopefully would help.
however, my three pods which were previously working flawlessly with my optimised signal now are having trouble connecting. 
I have placed each pod near the router, but still flashing green.

does connecting each pod to the router via ethernet help in initial connection?

Client62
Hero

For VM's WiFi Pods, the requirements for correct functioning are:-

1) for the SSID to be the same on the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands

2) for Wireless Optimisation to be Enabled.

Milarepa
Joining in

Oh