cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get a mesh system?

Smithsax
On our wavelength

I have a hub 3, big old house and up to 60 devices connected at any one time using a dogs dinner of powelines, network switches, long Ethernet cables and extenders.

All worked rather well (surprisingly) until the last few weeks. Now randomly losing connection to a range of different devices via Ethernet. Rebooting does not fix but physically unplugging and reconnecting the cables to the dropped device does.

No individual ports or switches seem favoured. I suspect the hub is failing to cope as a router for so many devices.

Should I bite the bullet and go for a mesh system with a dedicated router or is there anything else to try first? If so which is the best mesh for virgin media?

5 REPLIES 5

g0akc
Problem sorter

Sounds like a Mesh system would be of benefit

There seems to be some good deals on the TP link Deco M4 at present with 3 unit packs for under £100

Tenda models are are another option

Put the VM hub in modem mode and use the mesh system as the router

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have Ethernet cable to pars of your house you should consider wiring a mesh system or better still just getting a couple of good quality Wireless Access Points.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Tudor wrote:

If you have Ethernet cable to pars of your house you should consider wiring a mesh system or better still just getting a couple of good quality Wireless Access Points.

I agree, but suggest the router is replaced regardless, particularly since the OP feels that’s part of the cause of their issues.

Personally I use a third party wireless router, Ethernet to additional access points, hub in modem mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

I agree, but suggest the router is replaced regardless, particularly since the OP feels that’s part of the cause of their issues.

Smithsax
On our wavelength

A quick update. 
Decided to get a mesh system with router and put my hub 3 in modem mode. It was Amazon prime day so got a the eero 6+ 3 pack with a third off the price. (£200).

No drop outs at all. I used to curse my Sonos system which kept loosing devices but even that works perfectly now. Brilliant Wi-Fi coverage and all seems a bit quicker too. Should have done it years ago.