Menu
Highlighted
D3L3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sharing Bandwidth Equally across the connected devices

I have VIVID 100 and with the modem provided I don't seem to be able to share the bandwidth equally across the connected devices: one is always getting 50 Mbps, while the other need to share the remaining bandwidth... any recommended settings to avoid this? How do I set up the hub to provide always the maximum possible bandwidth to the all the devices connected?

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sharing Bandwidth Equally across the connected devices

Although I can't say for sure, I believe your devices (particularly wired) get what they are given.  Could be the case that I'm wrong and someone else could advise.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

the hub does haven't any QoS (quality of service), you would need to get your own router and best to put the hub into modem mode, a lot of the community use a asus rt68ac series, netgear nighthawk, tplink archer 7 these are more the top end of routers. since when you do wired it will use all the available bandwidth (speed) on 1 device.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
D3L3
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, I'll have a look at those routers, yet I'm a bit unimpressed with the Virgin Media device itself if I need a separate router to do what was built-in on the device of other broadband suppliers.

On the other hand, if there is no QoS on the Virgin Media modem, I'd expect the devices to negotiate independently their speed, instead from what I see on the modem page, it seems that the 100Mbps of bandwidth are allocated within the modem (so there is some QoS)... but that the allocation is really far from ideal:

VMchannels.png

the 100Mbps can be split only in chunks of 11 Mbps (the minimum channel) and of 54 Mbps (the maximum) - therefore even if I have only 2 devices connected, the max bandwidth I can get is [54+11 = 65] Mbps... almost the half of the 100 Mbps that should be available with VIVID100.

As said, far from ideal and unimpressive.

On a side note, if I'm buying and adding a separate router, I think I should configure the Virgin Media device to act only as a modem: will this remove this poor bandwidth allocation scheme and give the full bandwidth (100 Mbps) to the new router, so that the channels can be optimised to always use the full amount of speed if needed? 

Thanks in advance to the community.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

thats for wireless, if doing wired would say speed 100/1000mbps, since with wireless can depend on how the wireless being configured, what sort of wireless hardware is being used on the end device e.g. laptop, tablet etc.. i'm sure 1 of my fellow superusers/community users.. will glad to break down how wireless works in relation to speed.
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
D3L3
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Paul, thanks for your answer but please refrain from adding posts where no real information is given.
Wireless will clearly depend on the symbol rate on each one of the channels made available (by the router if I connect a router, by the Virgin Media device if I don't). 

Cheers.

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode is just that, all bandwidth will be passed to your own router to manage. The Virgin hubs are cheap entry level devices, do not have QoS and Virgin are unlikely to add advanced features that could increase support questions. It either does what you want or you need to buy your own, or change to a provider that supplies something that better suits your requirements.

Regarding Paul's comments. This is an open customer discussion forum where anyone can post their comments and opinions on any thread. The way I read it he was only trying to help. If it did not interest you, you are free to ignore it. Please feel free to ignore my comments.
D3L3
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Vircom,
I wasn't sure about modem mode: are you saying that in modem mode th eVM device will have to be wired to a router (no WiFi between the two)?

In terms of QoS, if this isn't present, I don't get why a device is taking up to 50Mbps (please refer to the screenshot above): to me it seems that the bandwidth allocation function is poor (as with just one laptop connected I get only up to 11Mbps, but I subscribed for 100Mbps - this means that the service supplied is not "with VIVID 100 you can connect up to 8-9 devices: as a matter of fact, if don't connect at least 8-9 devices, you can't even get close to the 100Mbps subscribed.

By the way, the way I see it, since it "is an open customer discussion forum where anyone can post comments and opinion on any thread", I was just suggesting we keep it short and efficient - my opinion is answers like "oh I don't know, let's see what the others can add" don't add much info to the thread and just generate notifications (if enabled).

Mine was just a suggestion and I didn't mean to bother anybody - I thanked all the people who provided an answer, yet I truly believe that in a thread you either add explanatory questions (like "Can you copy and paste these logs?) or you give an answer... even these lines in a post would be redundant if all the seniors lead the forum towards efficiency.

Kind Regards
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

hiya @D3L3 correct, when the hub is in modem mode, it turns off a router functionality e.g. wifi/multi ports/DHCP etc.. since that is what modem mode is for so people can use there own equipment for wifi etc..
0 Kudos
bbrown1664
Dialled in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The speeds shown are the speeds the devices are capable of with the connection they have.
If all devices were connected direct to the router, you would get 10, 100 or 1000Mbps type speeds regardless of your broadband connection speed. This is just the speed within your network.

You could have 50 devices all connected with 54MBps but they would all share the 100Mb broadband connection.
0 Kudos