cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared connection with neighbour

thelongfamily
Tuning in

Hi

My new neighbour was sharing my Virgin box for his connection. Virgin installed a separate box for his house on 1st April but his wire is still coming out of my Virgin box.  Shall I just pull it out now? 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you take it out:

1) It needs capping with a terminator cap inside the omnibox to prevent ingress. Do not just cut the cable.

Example 

2) I would not remove the splitter inside the omnibox. This will affect your signal levels & may cause issues with your connection.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you take it out:

1) It needs capping with a terminator cap inside the omnibox to prevent ingress. Do not just cut the cable.

Example 

2) I would not remove the splitter inside the omnibox. This will affect your signal levels & may cause issues with your connection.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You should get a VM tech back to complete the job properly by removing the splitter and replacing it with a connector, and taking away the now unneeded cable. Do not allow yourself to be fooled into paying £25 for a "no fault" callout.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi thelongfamily, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community regarding the cabling at your property. 

If this has been left following work completed by our technicians, we will need to arrange another visit to put this right. 

To get this booked, I am going to pop you over a private message to confirm some details. This will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat