cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe latency issues constant for months

DoubleD1
On our wavelength

I moved in to this property in april and since then my internet has been unusable however ironically my job is dependent on it. I am constantly told that there are no known issues other than infrastructure upgrades in the area that will be completed in 2 - 5 days. It is 5 months later. There are never any workmen in the area. The engineer who came out told me there are no repairs being done and my neighbours who use virgin do not have the issues i do. This graph shows how severe my latency issues are. It is next to unusable and i am TIRED of fighting you to help me 

Screenshot_20211018-104001_Gallery.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Thats one awful BQM. If the neighbours are not experiencing issues - do they have any BQM's running? - then lets see more details of your connection as below. Also worth calling the known fault line and see if anything is reported on there -- free on 0800 561 0061

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before [unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3) or top/right of the Login page (SH2) and then just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

BQM looks like two problems.  First, a noisy connection, that would probably be confirmed by the data @jbrennand has asked you to post.  The second is what looks like over-utilisation, and you might want to do a search on over-utilisation, and read some of the threads relating to that.

I'm so sorry I've been tryna find these settings and just can't. I use the super hub 4 if that helps? Also, an engineer has been out twice and claimed to fix the noise on the line yet the problems never even close to resolved 😔

Hi DoubleD1, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to see you are having issues with your broadband service. 

I have had a look at the account to see what's going on and it does look as though there is an ongoing fault affecting you. The details of that are below:

• Fault reference number: F008842304
  • Estimated fix time: 28 OCT 2021 13:10
  • Description: Status report || You might find that these services are intermittent at the moment: Virgin Fibre, Interactive TV, Catch Up TV, TV On Demand TiVo® or V6 home menu. We are sorry and working hard to resolve this for you.

I have made a note of this on your account so the relevant teams are aware you are affected. If there is anything else we can do, let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

DoubleD1
On our wavelength

You have given me the same excuse since I moved in which was April. You have given me a new date of it being fixed untold amount of times which is never done. I am about to lose my job and income because i cannot work from home and have no alternatives. 

@Kath_F  Could you or a colleague confirm or deny that this is an over-utilisation problem?  You know what I'll be advising if it is, but if we can get the facts straight first it will help.

@DoubleD1 Regardless of the underlying cause here, VM's performance has been poor and shows no sign of improvement.  If poor internet threatens your income, and there's a useable Openreach option, get a connection ASAP.  That'll commit your for a year with say Zen Internet, or 18 months with the large ISPs, but it'll only be around a quid a day, and surely that's better than losing your job?   We'll worry about the fact that you're paying for an unusably poor connection with VM in further posts, I think there will be a way forward that will see you OK, but get yourself a working internet connection as a priority.

DoubleD1
On our wavelength

@andrew-g i really appreciate your replies and help, thank you. Sadly i need a minimum of 12 upload speed due to what i do and can only get a max of 7 with any other company or i would have left months ago. This has genuinely deteriorated my mental health as extreme as that sounds as i can't move and my entire world is falling apart here now. I have been told this apparent fault in the area is ongoing since february. Am continuously given new dates of it being fixed, and was advised by an engineer that there are no faults. I was promised the last time i called the 20th would be the last date for it to be fixed. That has once again been extended. I just don't know what else to do anymore 

Looks like they are dancing around the real issue here.

Your connection is **** poor, it's not your fault and you should not have to put up with it.

I have been through the over utilization problem (if thats what it is), and believe me its a real fight.

I also know of the effects that this has on your mental health, it can't be understated especially when during a pandemic.

A lot of people wont notice a utilization problem, as long as youtube and netflix 'work' they dont care.

Without them starting a bqm they is no 100% way of proving that it's affecting them too, but I bet it is.

Virgin you really need to try harder, you do realise this level of service will put people off your service right?

@DoubleD1 Sadly i need a minimum of 12 upload speed due to what i do and can only get a max of 7 with any other company

I do understand the importance of decent upload speeds, but for most forms of video call applications they use about 2.5 Mbps, and even if you're connecting with a full HD upstream either for video calls or live streaming that's still only around 5 Mbps - is there something very specific that needs 12, and can you reduce that requirement?  

If you have not previously tried, you might want to try an Openreach connection and see how that performs, and cancel within your cooling off period if it really doesn't work as you require.  In that case you'd have some modest practical inconvenience of setting it up, cancelling and returning the kit, but the net cost to you should be nothing.