cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up dual band router

rickj64
On our wavelength

Due to set up Asus 2 band router . Is it best to use same address for 2&5 GHz or split with different names . Getting conflicting answers on the web . Never set up a dual band so a bit in the dark . I presume if I split it will show 2 networks available and it's then a matter of seeing what is best for each device trying to access the internet. Or have I completely got it wrong ( more than likely!!) 

Thanks in advance . Asus rt56x.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I feel your pain!! - It's the same in my house (Or was until I got the Archer C7)

When you get the router follow this procedure to connect it:

1. Navigate to 192.168.0.1
2. Log in to the Hub
3. Go to 'Modem mode' (on the left) and put the hub into modem mode
4. Wait until the bottom light on the Hub turns magenta / red (HUB 3) (can take about 5 minutes)
5. Turn off the Hub
6. Power on and set up your new router as per the manufacturers instructions
7. Plug an ethernet cable (usually supplied with the new router) from port 1 on the Hub into the WAN (usually blue) socket on the new Router
8. Power on the Hub and wait about 5-10 minutes until it stabilises - You should have internet!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

lotharmat
Community elder
I always name them as [anythingyoulike]_2 and [anythingyoulike]_5 and give them the same password!

There's no right or wrong - I've put my kids devices on the 2.4 GHz band and my stuff on the 5GHz band.

IMO - It is good to split them as then you have the choice of what to connect to!

rickj64
On our wavelength

Yep I was thinking the same . Just wanted a answer from someone with more experience than me . Main complaint in our house if coverage upstairs and extension room/ patio area 

Well the ASUS should help with that!

rickj64
On our wavelength

Fingers crossed buddy 65 quid lighter after Asus promo . Crap WiFi is all my fault in our house ! 

I feel your pain!! - It's the same in my house (Or was until I got the Archer C7)

When you get the router follow this procedure to connect it:

1. Navigate to 192.168.0.1
2. Log in to the Hub
3. Go to 'Modem mode' (on the left) and put the hub into modem mode
4. Wait until the bottom light on the Hub turns magenta / red (HUB 3) (can take about 5 minutes)
5. Turn off the Hub
6. Power on and set up your new router as per the manufacturers instructions
7. Plug an ethernet cable (usually supplied with the new router) from port 1 on the Hub into the WAN (usually blue) socket on the new Router
8. Power on the Hub and wait about 5-10 minutes until it stabilises - You should have internet!

rickj64
On our wavelength

Much appreciated

.just waiting for my extended cat6 before I can start .Asus will be about 5m from the sh3. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all replies

rickj64
On our wavelength
  • So trying to install Asus router and after trying in the 192.168.0.1 it ask for my password ... Not recognised !! I've written it down and access all the virgin apps etc with same password ? Any ideas as getting totally fed up with this virgin BB

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Any password asked for a 192.168.0.1 site will be printed on the router you're connected to.

If you're still connected to the Hub 3 it's on the bottom sticker. If it's the Asus router you're connected to it'll be in the documentation for the Asus router.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

rickj64
On our wavelength

Yep put that in 3 times now .. incorrect password