cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a TP Deco M4 Router with Virgin 3.0 hub

urbanbumpkin
Dialled in

Well I've finally bit the bullet and bought 3 TP Deco M4s

I do have a a couple of other TP link plug ins (no sure if i'll still use these).

I do current have the Virgin box, TV and a music streaming running off ethernet connections to the Virgin router. However I do also have a spare ethernet switch that I think I should be able to use.

From what I've read there appears to be a couple of ways to set the TP m4s up, access point and router mode?

Any recommendations on the best way to set these up?

Is there a simple guide for this?

2 REPLIES 2

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Put the hub into modem mode.

Run the TP in Router Mode.

Attach the switch to the TP for all other Ethernet connections (not the hub). 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As Gary says... follow this sequence...

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & Nat mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. NOW… power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

Note that some Deco’s systems need to be connected to the internet to set up the DHCP/Nat mode so that “may” need to be done first and then start this sequence again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.