cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a Mesh Deco wifi

WG1316
Tuning in

I am trying to help my daughter with her Virgin broadband. The wifi continually drops out. She has bought a Mesh Deco E4 system, however setting up does not seem straightforward.

Mesh say that there is no need to put the hub into Modem mode and in answer to a question we asked of them they say to select the Dynamic IP. When we do that we see a list of options, things like Static IP, PPPoE. We has a brief look at Static IP and saw that there are numerous fields that need completing. Not knowing which to select, we have not progressed.

Does anyone have a simple, straightforward answer to setting up this system, so that she can have a steady/stable wifi coverag? 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can either use the Deco's as "Access Points" and leave the Hub as it is, but set the Deco's SSID and passwords to be the same as the Hub. I would think the Deco app should guide you through the setup of AP mode.  The IP addresses should be setup on the Hub as Reserved DHCP, with each Deco having a different IP address. 

Or, use the Hub in modem mode and the first Deco unit will be the Router, with the other Deco's (if any) will be satellite units.  You may need to use an unmanaged switch plugged into the first Deco, as the Hub can only have one cable from it to the Deco when in modem mode.  If using modem mode, first set the Hub into modem mode, leave to settle for 5 minutes and switch the Hub off. NOTE - Use a cable for the configuration as you will lose wifi when the Hub is in modem mode.

Set the first Deco unit to DHCP and use a Cat 6 cable between the Deco and the Hub.  Once the Deco is up and running, power on the Hub.  After 5 to 10 minutes, the Deco should get a WAN IP and it should connect to the Internet.

Try to do these configurations via a cabled laptop or PC, as wifi will not be available at certain points along the way.  Also the IP address of the Hub admin console will be 192.168.100.1 when in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@WG1316 wrote:

Mesh say that there is no need to put the hub into Modem mode and in answer to a question we asked of them they say to select the Dynamic IP. When we do that we see a list of options, things like Static IP, PPPoE. We has a brief look at Static IP and saw that there are numerous fields that need completing. Not knowing which to select, we have not progressed.

Don't question them they are right when all is working by the mesh only you can go to 192.168.100.1 and change to modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

carl_pearce
Community elder

What speed is she subscribed to?

The Deco E4 nodes only have 10/100 (100Mbps) ethernet ports so you'll be limited to 100Mbps regardless!

Hi,

my Deco mesh network keeps hanging now I'm connected to a VM hub.   Is changing it to modem going to help?

Thanks

David

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dunniwax wrote:

Hi,

my Deco mesh network keeps hanging now I'm connected to a VM hub.   Is changing it to modem going to help?

Thanks

David

I would say so - worth trying... do it this way...

Switch on and set up your own router or first Mesh unit (in its settings) to have its WAN port set to be in.. Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode.   Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (sand all Mesh units) and switch them off and unplug them.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your first Deco unit on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat6a ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port on there will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection.  Use the recommended App to connect the other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.