cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting a static local IP address

bully9
Dialled in

I found a tutorial on how to set up a static local address and set one up on my laptop. It worked for a few weeks, but yesterday my internet would not connect and i had to revert to "obtain an IP address automatically" .

I found the same tutorial and i think i set the IPV4 address and Subnet Mask successfully (I used ipconfig /all to find them). But i wasn't sure which DNS server addresses to use. Looking on the web for VirginMedia DNS servers i found Primary DNS : 194.168.4.100 and Secondary DNS: 194.168.8.100 so i used those.

However, i still can't connect to the internet. Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong, please?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@bully9 wrote:

Why did the old setup stop working?

The hub gave the IP you set to another device

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Use IP 192.168.0.254 its unlikely the hub will give that IP to another device because the does not check if IP is in use or maybe it does but your IP you set was powered off and the hub did a check and think nobody using that IP.

You can if permitted change the DHCP range so like 192.168.0.254 is not in that range but I hear the hub will not allow port forwarding outside of the range. really be better to get your own router and modem mode for the hub then use the hub router mode.

Wow -  i must have sounded more intelligent than i am 🙂

I really appreciate the answer, but i'm afraid i have no idea what you mean.

Is it possible to rephrase in a way that a dummy like me might understand?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also try DNS servers of 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 instead of the VM ones.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks again for the reply. You say "also" but i haven't been able to try anything yet because i did not understand the last advice.

I did change my DNS settings to the ones that you suggested, but it made no difference.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Just use 192.168.0.254 as the IP on your device you likely have the right subnet and gateway correct

OK, thanks. I don't really understand, but i think i get that bit. But what about the primary and secondary DNS server addresses?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@bully9 wrote:

The hub gave the IP you set to another device

Ahh - i thought that the whole point of having a static local address on my laptop was so that the hub did NOT give that address to another device. It seems the reason i wanted a static address was not resolved by my doing it anyway. Perhaps i'll stick to a dynamic address in future.

Thank you.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

The router might not be smart to know if that IP is in use when its in use or it might know its in use when when use but if you power off the device the hub will think no one is using that IP and gives it out to another device. By setting the DHCP range in the hub the hub will not give out IP's out side of the range like 192.168.0.2 -192.168.0.100 the IP 192.168.0.254 will be fine but the hub does stuff different to other routers where IP's out side the DHCP range might not be allowed to setup port forwarding.