cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up VM Hub 3 with Eero WiFi Mesh & Netgear Ethernet switch

Rushdenx1
Joining in

My dilemma is poor WiFi speed and a lack of Ethernet ports on the VM Hub3. I have bought 2 Eero wifi mesh Router/extenders and a Netgear 8 port ethernet network switch to hopefully solve the issues but just need some help with how to set it up. Here are my first thoughts so please correct me with anything I have wrong or missed out.  

1/  Change VM Hub 3 to Modem Mode.

2/ Connect Eero Router via Ethernet to Port 1 of VM Hub3. 

3/ Connect Ethernet cable from the Netgear switch to second Ethernet port on Eero?

4/ Connect all other Ethernet cables into Netgear switch and leave other VM Hub ports empty.

Do the Ethernet cables between the VM Hub / Eero / Netgear switch need to be a certain quality / standard to get the best connections.

Any help appreciated.

Kevin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Minimum requirement for Ethernet cables is Cat 5e to have an internet network of 1gbps, so anything above that will be ok, it is normally marked on the cable what Cat they are.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Minimum requirement for Ethernet cables is Cat 5e to have an internet network of 1gbps, so anything above that will be ok, it is normally marked on the cable what Cat they are.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

oliverquick
Tuning in

Kevin - I wonder if you could confirm the above set up worked?

I'd like to replicate this - but having some issues with 'Modem Mode' - 

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@oliverquick wrote:

Kevin - I wonder if you could confirm the above set up worked?

I'd like to replicate this - but having some issues with 'Modem Mode' - 

Thanks!

What issues?

Carl , so I did the following

1. Configured all the Eeros via the app and confirmed all was good with the new network - next I wanted to switch off the superhub wireless - so
2. unplugged everything from the superhub ethernet ports
3. then just plugged in the eeros gateway node - as I understand only one ethernet port will work (I used the top one, #1)
4. went to via 192.168.0.1 set the hub to modem mode - it rebooted...

...and I kind of expected this to work...but no internet appeared to be routed through to the eero...and obviously no other wireless networks were available

I then plugged my laptop directly into the virgin router and tried 192.160.100.1 (as documented), but nothing...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@oliverquick wrote:

Carl , so I did the following

1. Configured all the Eeros via the app and confirmed all was good with the new network - next I wanted to switch off the superhub wireless - so
2. unplugged everything from the superhub ethernet ports
3. then just plugged in the eeros gateway node - as I understand only one ethernet port will work (I used the top one, #1)
4. went to via 192.168.0.1 set the hub to modem mode - it rebooted...

...and I kind of expected this to work...but no internet appeared to be routed through to the eero...and obviously no other wireless networks were available

I then plugged my laptop directly into the virgin router and tried 192.160.100.1 (as documented), but nothing...

In modem mode only one device can obtain an internet connection until a reboot occurs on the HUB.

Follow the below steps:

• Turn off both HUB and Router/Mesh system.
  • Turn on Router/Mesh system and wait for it to initialise.
  • With the HUB plugged into the Router/Mesh system (Assumed Pink/Magenta light on HUB indicating modem mode previously) via ethernet turn on HUB.

This sequence should work.

I'm assuming that the Eero was set to router mode, NOT extender, during setup!