Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Second hub

Hi all, I've recently become a customer and we purchased the 350mb bundle but arent getting anywhere near that but that's another issue.

My question is that the third floor of the house barely gets 5 mbs because of the range and even with a booster it's still not great. We have the hub on the first floor so I was wondering if you knew if it was possible to get another internet port installed on the third floor to either get a second hub or to have a wired connection going up there. I was wondering you anyone knew if that's a job virgin could do or if I'd have to find someone to do that job for me. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Second hub

Hi,yes virgin will come and add a second outlet for you,I believe they charge £99 so another option would be to run a long Ethernet cable up to the third floor with a second wireless router,you could probably do this for half the cost,I hope this helps.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the help, I think I'd just pay them, with the lay out of the house itll be a big task so I'd rather pay them to do it all properly 

Thanks again for the help 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hang on a minute, the answer above from @Nicholas_k is not incorrect but misses the point. They can fit another outlet and it will cost £99 but all you could do is to move the existing Hub there which would just move the poor reception issue downstairs. What you absolutely can’t have is two Hubs on the same account or at the same address.

The only way you can fix this issue is to either run Ethernet cable (VM won’t do this) or put the hub in modem mode and get your own router and/or a meshed WiFi system.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Right, thanks, we've tried moving it but even tight next to the hub we barely get 40 when we pay for 350 but like I said that's a different issue, if they can fit another outlet on the 3rd floor then I'll ring and ask because then I'll just run everything to be wired connection  from there 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You "pay" for 350Mbps speed to be delivered to your property.
Connection speed etc. inside your property is for you to resolve, especially via WiFi.

You either need to install some AP's, or a Mesh System, given you have 3 floors to cover, and cable these back to the main hub.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos