cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second broadband line

JakeRamsay
Joining in

Hi,

I recently called 150 inquiring about getting a second broadband line on the gig1 package installed. I was told by customer support that it wouldn't be possible to have two on the same service account nor would it be possible to have a second service account, however, according to answers on the forums here, there is the possibility of having a second line.

I have a large family, and with many computers running off one line it can get quite congested, hence why I'm looking in to getting a second line.

My question is, is it possible to get a second line through virgin media, and how would I go about getting one if possible?

9 REPLIES 9

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there,

This would require a duplicate account. However it would also mean two payments. 

Are you absolutely sure this is what you need, as we dont tend to do this normally.

Thanks

Christy 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

A second broadband line is mostly if you live in a flat or shared house I think a better router with QoS and wireless AP would be better and hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

There are better options including upping your package speed if you are maxing out what you have, using more Ethernet cables, using a better WiFi setup. It's best to describe what devices you have and where they and the hub are located in your house.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

JakeRamsay
Joining in

@legacy1

I already use the hub in modem mode, my primary router is a UDM-Pro, with Unifi APs being used in conjunction.

@Roger_Gooner

My package is already the highest speed available at the moment, M600 on the Ultimate Oomph Bundle. Customer Support informed me that while Gig1 is available at the property, the Ultimate Oomph Bundle currently doesn't have an upgrade to that speed.

We currently have three gaming PCs running off the line, as well as an xbox, a playstation, multiple laptops and two work desktops. The hub is located at the fiber entry point to the house, and is being used as a modem.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you describe the issues - your set up and package should easily handle that traffic level. Issue must lay elsewhere.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I am on an ultimate oomph and a few months ago negotiated a reduction of £25 for 18 months.  St the time I sought assurance that agreement would not stop me upgrading.

Since then I have upgraded to 1gig with a £1 increase for a further 18 month. So 22 months at discount. But that is missing your point. 1gig upgrades for ultimate oomph has happened  and should continue to be available 

I have a failover 4g infrastructure.  Never used  I installed it after a one week area fault caused by a power fail yo a vm cabinet. Costs a fortune and when the contract expires it will not be renewed. Instead I will drop in my phone sim should an alternative be required. Fail over isnt

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

carl_pearce
Community elder

Do you have FTTP with other providers availabe in your area?

You can get failry cheap 900Mb deals from around £40/month.

Depends what you mean by 'congested'.  Even with a very large family I doubt you are fully using the capacity of a 1gig broadband connection.  

Are you sure this isn't WiFi congestion?  If so a properly designed mesh system would do the job and save you a lot of money over a few years.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

@JakeRamsay wrote:

@legacy1

I already use the hub in modem mode, my primary router is a UDM-Pro, with Unifi APs being used in conjunction.

So enable QoS like SFQ -10Mb of your download speed and -0.9 upload speed and setup a BQM to see any spikes but if your getting spikes at idle or speed is slow then another VM line will not help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------