cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Router in house that currently has BT Halo 1?

OllyBramhill
Joining in

I’m moving into a garage conversion. I have a contract with my broadband for the next 6 months and can’t afford the deactivation fees. 

what’s the cost of setting up a second line (if I need one?) ? How will it work? Will an Ethernet cable need to be fitted in the room? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you can move your VM services to the new premises - its just a transfer - afaik they charge £20 for that - the key is that you need to have the same service and alter nothing - the second thing to check is when its transferred they do not start a new 18 month contract even if you alter nothing - they should not but it happens sometimes [wrongly]

the fact BT is installed there has no bearing on you getting VM - you need to speak to the house move team to set it all up

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there

Are you a customer with us at the moment?

Do you mean an additional Superhub? or a line with BT and a line with us?

Thanks,

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

We are already customers, 12 months into an 18 month contract who are moving in November to a house hold that currently has BT (which cannot be cancelled either).

I was wondering what the costs are of setting up a second broadband connection from a different provider in a home is.

best,

olly

@OllyBramhill wrote:

I was wondering what the costs are of setting up a second broadband connection from a different provider in a home is.

Why don't you ask the other providers thats not VM?🤔 if you mean VM then check the post code

Virgin Media Shop

Compare Broadband Packages October 2021 | Virgin Media

---------------------------------------------------------------

If the place you're moving into provides a VM service you can move your service for free if you take the same package for your remaining contract period.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Im not exactly sure what you mean. I have clearly stated the home is on a BT contract that they cannot end and I am on a virgin contract that I cannot end with paying costly deactivation fees. 

I am under the impression that I will have to pay a new line rental and installation fee.

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @OllyBramhill 

Do you mean that the new house which has BT is unable to get Virgin Media services?

And this is why you will have to pay Early Disconnection Fee's because you are unable to move your services here?

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

No. We are currently living alone with a virgin media broadband contract and will be moving in with my partners family into their new garage conversion. We need to bring the broadband with us to their house if we are to avoid early deactivation fees. The issue is they are also on contract so they cannot swap the current BT connection for our virgin connection.

I have checked and the home is VM computable. My question is how much will it cost to set up our VM broadband in the garage conversion (it’s attached to the house). Meaning that their BT service is there, aswell as our VM service. So their are two broadband connections in the house.

from what I have seen online this will require us to rent another separate line from the one used by BT. And I’m sure their will be an installation of another plug in spot for our modem/hub.

how much will this cost and is it actually possible.

thanks,

olly

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you can move your VM services to the new premises - its just a transfer - afaik they charge £20 for that - the key is that you need to have the same service and alter nothing - the second thing to check is when its transferred they do not start a new 18 month contract even if you alter nothing - they should not but it happens sometimes [wrongly]

the fact BT is installed there has no bearing on you getting VM - you need to speak to the house move team to set it all up

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@OllyBramhill wrote:

Im not exactly sure what you mean. I have clearly stated the home is on a BT contract that they cannot end and I am on a virgin contract that I cannot end with paying costly deactivation fees. 

The BT contract is with the occupier/owner - not with the house.  Its their problem not yours - forget BT and concentrate on trying to get your account transferred - if possible.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.