cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled MAC Filtering

JayManley
Tuning in

Hi, I have configured my Hub 3.0 to apply MAC filtering at specific times through each week day and also on a Sunday night to prevent my teenage son from sneaking online during school nights. However, the hours I applied don’t seem to correlate with real time properly. I’ve even tried to shift the hours forward by one hour and any settings I change now don’t seem to be applied anymore.

This is super frustrating. Any advice is welcome. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, this problem is now resolved. I took some time to go through the configurations today and found that an app I had used previously to control the timing had automatically set up the timing in the IP Filtering Rules section and I also had the equivalent set up in the MAC Filtering Rules section so no matter what I was changing there, the IP Filtering was still active and effectively overriding the MAC Filtering settings.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

How do you know they aren’t correlating?

Depending what device your son is using you can set them to use a random MAC address and therefore don’t get blocked by any filtering tools 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hey Gary, I set the schedule to disconnect at 10pm and it is currently disconnecting at 9pm instead. I’ve tried moving the 10pm schedule forward to 11pm to see if that gives an extra hour and this doesn’t even work

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @JayManley,

Welcome, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for any issues caused.

Please can you try using our connect app? Also it can be done through your Hub settings page.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley, I do have the connected app. However, I do not see any scheduling options anywhere. Therefore I have configured this already through the Hub settings page. My issue is that where I have set the devices to go off on the MAC Filtering page at 10pm, the devices seem to be getting kicked off at 9pm instead and when they get kicked off they can’t get back on until the following day’s schedule kicks in, even if I disable the filtering or make any adjustments

Hi JayManley, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this and apologies to hear about the hour gap. 

I'm wondering if the hour has something to do with the clocks falling back in October. Have you rebooted the hub or done a pin hole reset since then? 

Are you able to change the settings to make it so that you input 11pm and it goes off at 10pm then or is this not an option?

Pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, this problem is now resolved. I took some time to go through the configurations today and found that an app I had used previously to control the timing had automatically set up the timing in the IP Filtering Rules section and I also had the equivalent set up in the MAC Filtering Rules section so no matter what I was changing there, the IP Filtering was still active and effectively overriding the MAC Filtering settings.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JayManley

Thanks very much for getting back to us, I'm glad to hear the issue with your scheduled MAC filtering. Thanks for letting us know what the root cause of the problem was, that will be very helpful to others who experience a similar problem 🙂

Best wishes,

Serena

What app was it?

my timing it out for bst time, annoyingly i have changed when the clocks do or the router is reset

Hey hascha, thank you for reaching out with your question.

You could do a factory reset of the router this would reset everything back to normal, or you could go into every app and look into the settings to see what they are set up like.

Please do keep me updated. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?