cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Tv not connecting to WIFI

MrRobot
Tuning in

Hi All,

I purchased a 2019 model Samsung  4K Smart TV a few weeks ago, I haven’t been able to get a stable internet connect via WIFI. I have a HUB 3.0. 

The TV is situated in the bedroom and gets a good signal from the router.

At first it was impossible to get the TV connected to the WIFI, now the TV does connect and intermittently gave my internet access, however now it will not give me any internet access, the WIFI signal is full on the TV. I ran a Samsung Smart hub test and I get a message ‘ ISP BLOCKING TEST’. 

To make sure it’s not the TV I have connected the TV to my mobile phone personal HOTSPOT and it worked seamlessly for hours no dropped connection or lose of Personal Hotspot signal. 

No no other device is having this issue I. The house, I have called Samsung and they ran a few tests and made sure that the TV software up to date, they advised to get my ISP settings from my provider as it seems they are blocking the connection to the TV. 

I have spoke to Virgin Tech team and they have not given my any guidance or attempted to solve the issue and I get conned off to a third party who they suggest I contact.  

Can anyone help please?

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post. 

Regards

29 REPLIES 29

I managed to log into my router last night via the router but there's so many technical options that I'm still nonethewise as to how to rename the bands. If someone can talk through exactly what I need to click then this would make it a little easier to follow?

I manually entered my IPS details into the TV (Using DSN 8844) and it finally accepted them however the success was short-lived as the internet keeps dropping in and out all of the time when trying to switch between the likes of Netflix and the App Store or Prime and the Internet on my TV. Feels like the TV can't handle the switch between 2.4gzh and 5ghz anymore and drops off the network as a result. 

@MrRobot - which Mesh WiFi would you recommend using? I've had a quick look on Amazon and you can pay a much or as little as you want by the looks of it

Hi

i looked at a number of Mesh WiFi systems, it all depends on the size of your house and the broadband speed....for example I first purchased the BT Wholehome mesh system, great system, worked really well and the 2 discs had a very good range in regards to extending the WiFi, however I found out that the disc for some bizarre reason have a speed limit, I have Virgin Broadband and my broadband speed is 150mbps, the BT mesh have a speed limit of 90mbps so I ended up returning them. 

I ended up getting the TP Link Deco M5 the three disc system, the speed is unlimited so I get full speed, they have worked without any issue (2 months in) easy to set up. As I mentioned it depends on the size of your house, I would recommend the three disc setup as this gives you better coverage, however two discs positioned correctly may work just as well. They cost £159 at the time of purchase. 

hope this helps. 

Bought a 3 disc mesh wifi set and it's fixed the issue. Thanks for the advice! 

I've had the same problem with a Panasonic TV. It connects to the hub but won't connect to the internet.  My laptop etc work fine with the router, its just the TV that doesn't.    It connects fine via my phone's hotspot.  I too was told I would have to pay to have the problem fixed.  Very unhappy with Virgin Media charging extra to fix what sounds like a problem with their router.  I haven't subscribed to Virgin TV as I don't see why I should have to pay extra to watch TV when I don't have to with any other broadband provider, wish I'd paid a little bit extra per month to have BT broadband!  Am now going to find an ethernet cable, would prefer not to have to buy mesh wifi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ethernet cable (Cat6) is always the best way to connect to the network.
Re. the wifi - is the Panny 2.4GHz only or can it connect on the better 5GHz band?

If you have a Hub3 and you haven’t already done it - try this.

Access your Hub settings - (go to http://192.168.0.1 your browser) and navigate to “smart wifi” and then tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.
After doing that - go in to advanced>wireless>security, and just rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's (just change 'em to something like ... xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) use the same password for both, save settings and restart Hub.
Over wifi you can then individually select the network that you want each device to connect to.

See if that helps if not you can always reset it all back with a pinhole reset of the Hub.

You should also use a wifi scanning App to see what 2.4 wifi channels are most congested from your neighbours and ensure you set your channel to the one which shows least use/power of the 3 non-overlapping channels 1,6,11. at that location.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

dld99
On our wavelength

I am also having the same problem with a Samsung TV, having just moved to Virgin from Sky.  For both Wifi and wired connection the TV gets an IP address and DNS settings, but "cannot see the internet".  I've swapped cable, swapped port on the hub, no joy. 

Am about to try connecting to the hub and whitelisting the Mac address for the TV, but given it's getting IP address ok, not sure what this will solve.  Works fine with mobile wifi hotspot too, so it's definitely something on the Virgin side.

dld99
On our wavelength

Have found the manual DNS setting has worked for now, hopefully that fix will be persistent.  Seems an odd workaround given that it's only this one device failing.

SOLUTION: Changed DNS to 8.8.8.8  I left the other IP settings on automatic and haven't touched the hub settings.

This is Google's public DNS server.  I haven't tried any other public servers but they should work if you have issues (technical or philosophical) with Google
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Public_DNS

An alternative if you can put two entries on your device: 8.8.4.4

D

Thanks John! Not only did it solve the problem I was facing with my TV, but it also helped me get my Sonos back online.

Cheers!

I'm glad to hear that is sorted for asapra.

^Martin